We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent travel in Croatia

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Independent travel in Croatia

I am thinking of going to the Zadar area for a week or two, I would like to have the freedom to just head off to an island or two and therefore don't really want to book hotels in advance. I am planning on going at the end of June.

Will I be able to get accomodation last minute if I just turn up ?

How easy is to get around the region and hop from islands ?

Is it safe as a single female to be travelling alone ?

What sort if prices should I expect to pay for guest houses and ferries etc ?

Thanks and if there are any must not misses please let me know.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

I think you will always be able to find accommodation when you show up, especially in June. It would be a bit harder in July or August. Croatia's bus system is very efficient and it will be easy to get from place to place without renting a car. For ferry times and prices go to http://www.jadrolinija.hr/ Prices will be cheap for just a person on a ferry or catamaran. Where are you thinking of going?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
44,493 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

And yes, you will be safe, no worries there!

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

I will fly into Zadar, or Split and it is the islands and coast around there that I am thinking of but the trip is in its infancy at the moment so no firm plans made.

4. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 00:02
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

You could find the accomodation last minute if you avoid the pick of the season. Otherwise I sugegst to book in advance.

From Zadar you can take the ferry or catamaran for the principal islands and go around as you like.

It's absoutely SAFE!

And the tickets are not very expensive.

solingen
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

You can also rent a boat on several places in Zadar and go every day to another island.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

We were really impressed by our 1st visit to Zadar last year, especially by the ease of travel to local islands- for example three or more ferries daily from 10am (last year) to places like Sali on the Island of Dugi Otok- the furthest out of the immediately adjacent archipelago, only an hour or so away, but with a sleepy, remote feel off season. We had to stay overnight in Zaar due to the late Ryanair arrival, but once on the isalnd, accommodation in apartments in May was plentiful and cheap too- we just rolled up to the Tourist Office on the harbour in Sali and got a 2 bedroom apartment with sea view; 30-70 Euros per nite depending on season- owned by Marijana, on tel 00385 23 377 350.

The tourist office, whose staff spoke English act for lots of landlords – tel 00385 23 377 208 or 38585 99 518 2929 www.adamo.hr or email info@adamo.hr

Or scan previous posts by the two local experts or google seach to get websites for the many local agencies offering rentals; if we'd had more time we'd have taken up offers of waterside apartments in the more remote small islands which make up the national park; these often come with their own boat- again at surprisingly reasonable cost and lots better value than hotels which seemed overpriced.

8. Re: Independent travel in Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Zadar