We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to try Zadar

scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Want to try Zadar

I fancy trying Croatia this year and Zadar looks interesting.

We normally go self catering and have found a bungalow in Borik available in September.

Has anyone been in this area, and if so would you recommend it?

We're both retired so look forward to a holiday that means we can eat out regularly ( but not too expensive), with a good chance to interact with local people. Whats the food like, we love seafood?

A hire care would be great as we like to explore the area around our digs. What are the car hire rates like? A small economy car is all we would need. Does anyone have any idea as to prices?

Travelling is our enjoyment, and although we live in Scotland I've sussed out the flights, even though it means travelling to Stansted to get a direct flight.

The bungalow I've seen is at::- Cvijete Zuzoric 16

23000 Zadar (Borik)

Does this address ring a bell for anyone? The owner is Canadian.

Hope someone can give me info on this.

Many thanks

Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to try Zadar

Have just returned from Croatia, a super country, but not cheap. Meals out are quite expensive.

I would recommend Split, Zadar and Trogir as really worth visiting

London, England
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to try Zadar

We went last year and will return. I consequence, I researched the area on TA and have picked up a lot from this forum. You'll get better answers from the two well-informed and helpful local experts, but meanwhile here's and amateur view...altho' we didn't stay in Borik, it gets good reviews, so check past posts using the search bar above.

As regards a hire car, and assuming the Stansted flights still land late in the evening, I'd recommend you leave the car for the latter part of your trip and take the easy option- do as we did and get a taxi to your digs; unless of course your hosts collect you, which is quite common- so ask.

You could then check out the local area, including getting a bus into town to take ferries to the islands nearby for day trips. One of the furthest local islands - Dugi Otok (Long Island) is only an hour away from the quay in the old town of Zadar, with three or four well-timed daily crossings to Sali- a charming sleepy port with several places for lunch, even out of season. A tourist office on the far side of the harbour will advise o local walks if you wish; they found us great rooms overlooking the port. We got a 10am ferry out and stayed there for a few days but there are afternoon returns. Local travel agents may have more adventurous trips to the islands which make up the beautiful marine nature reserve a little further south

As regards car hire, check Ryanair rates (via the link to Hertz on their website). These tend to be reliable if not the cheapest, so as frequent HETZ/Ryanair punters we've taken to comparing them with carhire3000.co.uk who we've found to be trustworthy intermediaries for local hirers, securing better rates than if you just turn up on the day (their website shows 150GBP for a week, and about 100 quid for 4 days from Zadar airport in Sept).

And the comment by Happyhorse, above, about costly meals doesn't square with our experience. Altho' hotel rooms seem very expensive compared with other EU countries, (hence everyone stays in rented private apartments or rooms) we found bars and restaurants to be very good value, with transparent pricing and no rip offs- even down to priced drinks menus on every bar table in cafes both in Zadar old town and (in the even cheaper) islands.

I bet you'll have a great time as we did- from one grandparent to another.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to try Zadar

Oh and as a PS to the above-

pity that last years' Edinburgh - Zadar flights don't seem to be advertised past August, so you have to schlep doen to Stansted - have they discontinued them except for summer? Or just not posted them yet?

I assume you're set on Borik, and have acccomodation booked; if not, send me a PM and I'll give you all the accomodation agency and B & B links and websites which I've clipped for our next trip from past TA posts

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
48,562 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to try Zadar

Zadar is a very neat place to visit. With a car you would be able to take it to places like Plitvice or Krka Falls, or maybe even as far as Split.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to try Zadar

Stayed for 3 weeks in and around Zadar last year, when on the mainland stayed in Borik.

Its outside town , but with a great bus service right into town centre that is cheap and busy , but great fun.

Borik has the large hotel complex Falkensteiner with a beach/promenade its got a rocky beach, like Granton but the locals love it .If you want better beaches head out to the islands for aday or two. Take the high speed boats if you can .

Restaurants are same prices as here(Edinburgh) , service is good, its definitely different ,which all holidays should be

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to try Zadar

Borik is good place to stay, you can see here for more info:

http://www.hoteliborik.hr/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to try Zadar

Zadar's great for day trips, as already mentioned. I would also recommend Pag Island, which is just to the north of Zadar and is connected by bridge. A great island, the main town (centre of island) is lovely. A hire car is a good idea, there are also local hire car places in Zadar (we use the local ones when we go there). Borik is a popular suburb of Zadar. The 'Puntamika' buses run from there to the old town all the time. I'll be heading to Zadar in 2 weeks and staying in Borik. Can't wait.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 14:28
solingen
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to try Zadar

Don't miss National parks around Zadar: "Kornati", "Paklenica" and "Krka".

9. Re: Want to try Zadar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Zadar
Recent Conversations