We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is croatia expensive?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
is croatia expensive?

Thinking of going to croatia to look at the national parks, landmarks ect..doing it on the cheap staying in a hostel and walking most places but really dont know how much money to take and how expensive things are there? please help!

Thanks

The Forum
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Sea Organ
Il Saluto al Sole
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is croatia expensive?

we have travelled to croatia several times over the past few years, most recently holidaying in zadar, and find that prices compare quite favourably with nearby countries. eating out can be quite reasonable if you choose the cheaper cafes/restaurants, though we found that prices in supermarkets are more or less on a par with supermarkets in the UK. also, buses seem punctual, well maintained, and cheaper than public transport in the UK, so you could use the buses rather than book expensive trips.

accommodation is quite cheap as well, if, as you are doing, you book your rooms through 'hostelbookers'.

you should be able to do it on a tight budget, which is why it is such a draw for back-backers.

enjoy.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is croatia expensive?

I concur. Fresh fish and seafood can be expensive (it is sold by weight) but you can find very good eats at konobas for reasonable prices. Croatia is certainly not nearly as inexpensive as many other countries but it is not amongst the most expensive, either. It is so true that accommodations can be very cheap. You can easily find a B&B/agriturismo for 50 euros and under. As I have not stayed in a hostel in Croatia I cannot offer anything on that.

Generally it is cheaper to travel outside of July and August when parts of Croatia are hot, crowded and accommodations prices can increase, at times up to 30% unless you stay a minimum of several nights. That is not the case all over the country, though.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is croatia expensive?

During the summer the prices are not very cheap, but if you're lucky and have no particular needs, you can find rooms going around for 30 euro... The food is not expensive but it depends on what and where you eat... fish and particular renomated restaurants can be expensive but there are many affordable places also... in the "mini-markets" you can find all the things as in supermarkets...

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is croatia expensive?

Many sites are free, too, such as Dvigrad in Istria, castle ruins and churches with frescoes. One of the most pleasurable things is to just walk around little ancient villages.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Zadar,Trogir,Split,D...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is croatia expensive?

Hi Guys,

I live in Zadar and from my point of view Croatia is really not Expensive if You know the right "How to" and even without that !

You can eat here 2-3 times daily ( Lets say you start you day with a nice breakfast in the mama rina restaurant 1x Wiener Schnitzel + pomfits for 35 kn then later after some beach fun you can grab a burger or so for 25-30kn and in the evening when You arrive to Your apartment You could make Pasta with cheese or bolognese from the supermarker at Home while enjoying a 10 Kn Heineken beer on the balcony.

So don't be stupid and pay the MEGA prices found on some locations.

After all you can find unreal priced menus all over the globe not just in croatia.

Its all up to You but i would say a 100kn per day its the right amount of money to spend daily to satisfy You stomach ;)

If You need any assistance just send me a message i would be glad to help You out !

Best Regards from the sunny town of Zadar ;)

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is croatia expensive?

goran, that is the best way to advertise, better than the new ones that you are trying. i love croatia, and i would hate for you to take someone ....let them pm you. please

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,679 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is croatia expensive?

We found Croatia to be very reasonable compared to other European countries.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is croatia expensive?

Much better than being in the Euro-zone.

Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is croatia expensive?

What is the best way to travel in Croatia? We are coming in October. Public transport? Or driving? And what is the cost of public transport and petrol?

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
53,464 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is croatia expensive?

What places are you planning on going to?

Get answers to your questions about Zadar