We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Lisbon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Hi,

I'm new to the Tripadvisor and this is my first time writing in this forum. I've tried to find the answers to my questions in other threads but couldn't get them.

As many thousands of fans, I'm heading to the Ukraine this June for the Euro2012 (Lviv and Kharkiv). I have doubts about the internal travelling:

1) Train: i've read in news articles about the new "high speed trains" in service in the Ukraine as of May 2012. I will surely want such a service for the Kiev-Lviv and Kiev-Kharkiv lines. Is there any place where I can look for the planned schedules? Secondly, is it possible to purchase the tickets in advance?

2) Car: another possibility will be to rent a car and travel around. I've read intensively about the poor state of the roads in the Ukraine, and the poor quality of the roadsigns. First question, is this true or myth? Second question, would this option be advised vs taking the train?

I have plenty of questions regarding accomodation availability and outrageous prices, but I see I'm not alone and many other threads about this topic have been started.

Thank you!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Hi pmlt and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

1) Indeed, those speedy express trains are said to be running starting from May. Therefore their schedule is expected to be announced around April.

Train tickets in Ukraine are available for sale in no earlier than 45-30 days prior to your tentative travel date.

You can buy them on-line using http://www.e-kvytok.com.ua booking system of UkrRailways (monopolist railway carrier in Ukraine). BUT prior to that DO make sure you have read and understood the rules and procedure, because the system is a bit tricky. And its English module is still not functioning, so booking is only done in Cyrillics presently.

That said, I invite your attention to this earlier thread with more tips on train tickets’ booking:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k500… Open the link mentioned in my #1 on that thread, too.

2) I would only recommend renting a car if nothing else works.

Road quality in Ukraine is NOT a myth: tripadvisor.com/…24754669 And here’s what Kyiv-Chop “highway” is said to be looking like at the moment at the border of Lviv and Transcarpathian areas www.doroga.ua/Pages/ArticleDetails.aspx… Although the roads between the host cities are being reconstructed at the moment, we never know how they survive through winter – it has finally started to snow in Ukraine.

The situation with the road signs is improving though – I see more and more of them in English throughout Ukraine.

But there’s always an issue with poor driving culture in Ukraine and the necessity to deal with road police.. Somehow I doubt these two will change to better within the remaining month.

Browse through the forum (or use search the engine for “driving in Ukraine”) if you need more info – it had been discussed here many times.

So I’d say stick to the trains unless you want a true adventure and challenge..

Edited: 16 January 2012, 06:59
Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Concerning your second question: bad roads are not a myth, but they are not too bad either. Of course, it depends on your previous experience, but I should say that I had absolutely no problems in Ukraine after driving in Russia. Moreover, all roads in Western Ukraine are, on average, better than roads in Central Russia. You should be careful and patient, and prepared to bad sections, like the one Cora mentioned, but the roads should not be an obstacle to see the country on your own.

The driving culture is not bad at all. To me it resembled Israel: drivers are active, sometimes aggressive, but they rather follow the rules than ignore them. Driving in Portugal is better, though.

Altogether, it makes no sense to rent a car for traveling between the big cities, but you will need a car to go off the beaten path and visit smaller towns/castles efficiently.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Thank you very much for your advices!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Hi pmlt

We're a group of 4 Portuguese guys going to Ukraine too.

Did you book anything yet? Fell free to drop me an email (in Portuguese)

asilva_ricardo@hotmail.com

Força Portugal!!!

Ricardo

Lisbon, Portugal
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

pmlt,

I'm also from Lisbon and looking for the best transport option to travel from Poland(Rzeszow) to Lviv on the 13th. As far as I know Rail option is the best but I still can't find any time schedule or booking online. Have you already arranged for your transport. Can you tell me what have you choosen? Me and my brother are planning to travel from Rzeszow to Lviv on the 13th and come back after the match. On the 15th we will move to Kiev, arriving on the 16th. I'm also having some dificulties booking the train, departuring Kiev at 6:33 on the 17th and arriving Kharkiv at lunch time. Are you also going to Kharkiv. How are you going to do?

6. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 10:06
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

Yeah, great. And you bumped this old thread to only post this irrelevant link?

8. Re: Euro 2012 - High Speed Trains Schedules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2013, 10:29