We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitors to Lviv from USA

Maitland, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Visitors to Lviv from USA

So what about visitors from say USA - will we be welcome in Lviv during May 2014 considering the politics? I think protestors are disappointed that our leaders did not provide big support to the opposition.

There is a travel advisary in place until March 14

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Hello SSokalsky and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

I'm afraid you're grossly overestimating the significance of your country and your leaders to us, mere Ukrainians ;) People here can't care less whether you are coming from the US, Russia, Iran or elsewhere - as long as you behave with respect to our traditions and norms.

And there's absolutely no change in sentiments towards the Americans or any other nationalities due to the latest events in Ukraine.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Please, also see post #53 here from your compatriot currently in Kyiv:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k713…

Hope it will give you more comfort.

Maitland, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Respecting traditions and norm - no problem. We have waited a long time and look forward to our opportunity to visit the home of our ancestors this May. Thank you for clarifications!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

My pleasure :)

Please, feel free to ask, should you have any questions or need info for your trip planning. And please, read back through Ukraine forum - hope you find it helpful for your research.

Sugar Land, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

I too will be traveling to Lviv with my son in July for 6 days. This will be my son's 4th time there, my first, and I am so looking forward to seeing this beautiful city I've heard so much about and meeting all the wonderful Ukrainian friends he has made there. As of now I have no intention of changing my travel plans which include a visit to Vienna, Lviv & Prague.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Being honest - we are disappointed by our leaders first here, but even feeling the same about some foreign ones - it never reflects on tourists. Taking into attention Lviv "open to the world" motto and great number tourism-oriented businesses and services - visitors from any country always are welcomed.

Surely - latest political events impacted tourism to city, - but logically - number of most reasonably priced hotels lowered their prices to even more reasonable levels. Some of them are planning to return previous prices next month, but some may probably keep discounted options for longer. So - there are good opportunities for early visitors to save on accomodations before beginning of more regular tourist season.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

I am also planning to visit Lviv this April for the Easter holiday. It will be my first visit to Ukraine. With all of the US State Dept warnings I get anxious. I will have relatives meet me at the Lviv airport on arrival and we will travel to Kalush where they live. I am assuming that that area is still safe from political problems?

I do have questions about the airport: is there any English in the signage at the airport> example "gates" "customs" "baggage" or should I get started learning the Cyrillic words for each?

Any hints on getting through security on my return flight. or should I have my relative accompany me to the gate? You can tell I am a little nervous about getting out as well as getting in. I am a seasoned traveler but the political problems are the issue.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Lviv international arport (as any other international one) - has all the signs dubbed in English, customs-etc stuff is also English-speaking. Neverminding being quite over-sized - our airport is very simply-planned and easy for orientation. Not any reason to have any concerns about security-etc, - even during latest more politically-disturbing months - there were not any special extra-measures taken. Never heard about any serious problems at airport from tourists here, - except probably one case - whene they weren't allowed to take couple of bottles of liquor in hand lugguge for flight.

And also - about language - all street sighns and house/street numbers in Lviv are dubbed in English (plus great number of brown-colored tourist signs).

Kalush is probably les English-speakers-friendly - but hopefully your relatives will be good help there.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Thank you for your reply. You have eased my anxiety a great deal.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitors to Lviv from USA

Welcome back to the forum, Lvivtravel :) And many thanks for the update on the situation in Lviv!