We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Hi. I'm currently in Lviv. Want to travel to Kiev for a couple of days - from tomorrow.

Whats the earliest bus or train I could take tomorrow? What would you recommend - train or bus?

Do I need to book in advance or can I just show up at the time of departure?

Generally, what duration would this journey be likely to take?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Hi baguio_gold and welcome to Ukraine forum!

Presently, earliest tran for Kyiv leaves Lviv at 00:50. Here's the time-table, containing departure and arrival times:

http://tinyurl.com/q54zquf

You can check availability of tickets (and book on-line) here: http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/ (choose Kyiv, not Kiev).

I can see there are still lots of tickets available for this and other tomorrow's trains, so your chances of popping up at the station and buying a ticket for tomorrow are rather high.

Have a safe trip!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 21:46
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Also, I was surprised to see Intercity in the time-table and booking systems, as there was info earlier that UkrRailways temporarily withdrew these trains for tech maintenance. Right now I'm not sure if these were returned on the rout or not, so better don't count on them or, if you do, make sure to double-check their availability at the train station.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 21:49
Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Thanks Cora. I got a bit frustrated with the options and time available so have taken a bus from Lviv back to Poland. Coming over via bus was fine. Going back to PL is very very frustrating! If others are reading (and I know its been pointed out here previously but you dont really appreciate it until you experience it!), be prepared for that. I think I will try the train the next time...trouble with both bus and train options seems to be that they leave you arriving in PL late at night or in the middle of the morning. Its not a good time to arrive anywhere!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Pity you missed Kyiv this time. Have you played this entire trip by the ear?

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

Hi Cora. Looks like circumstances are likely to mean i'll be coming back repeatedly for the foreseeable so i guess i'll get a shot at Kiev the next time. :-)

Yeah, i always work with a rough outline of where i'd like to go but always adjust as i go. ie. Allow more time if im really enjoying a particular place but move on if things getting stale. And of course so much is circumstantial. Ive been back to some places repeatedly and sometimes just turned out to be better than others....for a whole host of different factors.

Part of the joys of travelling i guess but have to also take the rough with the smooth....such as my bus experience back across to PL.

6. Re: Lviv - Kiev - train or bus and how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:17