We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crimea for a single traveller

Slovakia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Crimea for a single traveller

Hello

I've been thinking of visiting Crimea for a long time, but it seems a real hassle to get to. Anyone that has been there: is it actually worth it? the trains seem to be extremely slow and I'm not sure how efficient the transportation is on the peninsula. Any views on this?

Thanks.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Hi mdch82,

It depends on many things. First is what is your main interest. Trains are slow but if speed is important for you may take a flight to Simferopol or Sevastopol. If you plan to spend single day then probably you will see not much if it will be about 3 days you will see a lot. And there is no problem with intercity transportation.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

And hi again :)

Fully agree with Anna – much depends on what you are interested in.

I visit Crimea at least once a year since my very early childhood, and it is never boring! And never the same.

Crimea has a lot to offer: fantastic nature and amazing scenery, quite a unique climate, lots of diverse places to see: cave monasteries and cities; palaces and fortresses; waterfalls and mountains; vineries; Soviet history and Cold war memorial places and museums. And, after all, it’s the very popular Black Sea resort with lots of activities.

You can find some ideas on places to see in Crimea here:

Crimea tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g313972-i7465-k334…

Greater Yalta (Yalta, Livadia, Massandra, Alupka, Foros, Gurzuf) tripadvisor.com/…23893582

Sevastopol and the area (Inkerman, Balaklava) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295387-i7466-k334…

Backchisaray and the nearby cave towns and monasteries (Chufut-Kaleh, Mangup, Eski-Kermen, Tepe-Kermen, Kachi-Kalyon etc) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g313972-i7465-k334…

As for the transportation on the peninsula, there are lots of options available, for any budget: from renting a car or hiring a driver to taking public transport like trolleybuses or mini-buses (marshrutka’s). Getting around by sea is also quite fun.

I’d never hesitate to go to Crimea whenever there is a chance :) The biggest problem, however, is the still largely Soviet-style in many services and the nightmare of high season with its crowds of people everywhere from the beaches to the sights, and sometimes unreasonably high prices.

So I'd say choosing the right time to go makes good half of success :)

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Thanks for those great links Cora. Now that you've returned to the forum, I can exhale :-)

We've pushed our trip to Crimea back to mid-September now (for other reasons). I wanted to post a link to a book I'm reading. It's written in Ukrainian and English: 'The Genoese of Crimea - a historical guide.' Under the Patronage of the National Council for Cultural Affairs to the President of Ukraine. There's a section for tourists, but the whole book with its text, photos, and maps, could double as a wonderful tourist guide:

http://crimeanbook.com/genuesci.html

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Hi Aeolis :)

Please, breathe normally! Even when I'm away, I try to keep an eye on the forum now and then. And luckily there are other helpful members to take over :)

Thanks for the link - haven't read this one, even though I did refresh my knowledge prior to visiting Balaklava last year, famous, inter alia, for the ruins of Cembalo Genoese fortress

https:/…5599936404089983970 (and 7 next pics)

Ah! Nice to read you have moved your travel plans, for whatever reasons (hope not unhappy ones, though). Chances are you will have the sites nearly to yourself! :)

Edited: 26 April 2011, 18:04
Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Thanks Cora, they are lovely photos.

We are fine, but family matters have come into play (sister and husband returning for retirement, an elderly uncle coming for a visit, etc), so we are planning now for after September 15. I knew this would please you :-) BTW, Olya tells me that Sevastopol is the most beautiful city in Crimea.

Thanks again for the links, which I'm ploughing through. I read Chekhov as a younger person (40+ years ago), and I've had his short stories nearby ever since. His villa at Yalta along with Livadia Palace are top of my list right now. But I keep reading.

Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Probably Olya is from Sevastopol isn't she? It is difficult for me to be objective as I'm from Sevastopol too, but even I can't name it the most beautiful.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

She's not from Sevastopol, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think Kiev is quite beautiful, but she's not so sure. She doesn't like crowds of people, and Sevastopol wasn't crowded when she was there, so I think she had more time to appreciate the natural landscape.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Hi Aeolis :)

Glad you liked my Balaklava pics :) I think I might have few from Sevastopol with me as well, will try to upload them later tonight.

I love Sevastopol dearly and firmly believe this is the city not to be missed in Crimea, truly one of my favourites! Though in terms of natural landscape, the surrounding small towns (the same Balaklava) probably beat it, at least in my eyes.

I personally shall be stuck trying to choose the best place in Crimea :) Must have visited nearly all the more or less interesting towns, villages and sites on the peninsula in my lifetime, and they are all so different! For example, how choose between Vorontsov palace http://worontsovpalace.com.ua/indexeng.php and Khan-sarai http://www.hansaray.org.ua/e_index.html and Genoese Fortress in Sudak perekop.info/wp-content/…genoa-fortress.jpg Or Falcon (Sokol) mountain in Novy Svet http://www.bfoto.ru/bfoto_ru_846.php and Ayu-Dag (Medved’) Mountain in Partenit http://focus.ua/contest/photo/2215 and Kara-Dag (say, Golden Gates) http://www.clubnikoli.ru/pict/kara9.jpg Or Assumption Cave Monastery in Bakhchisaray uadream.com/tourism/… and Christ's Resurrection Church in Foros photoukraine.com/russian/photos/theme/9/2319 - which are just a few places to mention.

Since I’m trying to visit Crimea in low season, I’m always lucky to avoid crowds ;)

P.S. In Livadia, don’t bother with organ hall; very disappointing.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Turned out I don't have too many photos from Sevastopol in my laptop, but here they are https:/…

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crimea for a single traveller

Thanks Cora, they are wonderful links and photos. You sure have an eye for a good scene.

I'm going to Crimea, but the child in me is going to Yalta. One of my earliest memories is the funeral of Sir Winston Churchill, in early 1965. My grandparents closed the curtains, and we all sat with my parents and watched on black and white TV. There was no humour or laughter. Later, I saw the photo of Churchill with Stalin and Roosevelt in Yalta, and I wondered about that place. That's the source of my compulsion.

Is it a nice place off season? Is it warm and sheltered in winter? Is it a happy place? A retirement place perhaps, for a few people? Or is it a regular place, like many places, once the summer is over and crowds have gone home?

Get answers to your questions about Yalta