We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

Burke, Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

We plan to spend 5 days in Crimea in August, 2013. We (either 2 or 4 people) will be flying in from Kiev. Can anyone recommend:

1. A nice, semi-luxurious place to stay? On the beach. Say, Marriott-quality or better.

2. An airport? (Or is Simferpol the only one directly accessible from Kiev?)

3. A flexible travel agent? I.e. someone who will tailor sight-seeing for us.

Lenin Embankment
Historic Walking Areas
Chekhov House & Museum
Historic Sites, Speciality Museums, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

Hi Tobindia,

Have to warn you in advance that in August in Crimea (and especially Yalta) you will pay Marriott price for an average accommodation. So you should decide what's more important to you - quality or fair price.

1. For quality in Yalta you may want to have a look at, for example tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g295378-d143878…

Or are you looking at any other city in Crimea to stay in?

In any case, August is top season, when Crimea, its hotels and beaches, are extremely (!!!) crowded.

Btw, just FYI, the coastline in south Crimea is pebbled (I'm surprised how many travellers complain about it in their reviews, so am just warning you).

2. Indeed, Simferopol airport will be your only option.

3. Can't help you with a travel agent, sorry, but there were quite a few travel guides recommended earlier in this forum; most of them would have no problem with tailor sightseeing. You may want to use search engine to find these threads. Also have a look at those listed: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g313972-Activiti…

Edited: 14 October 2012, 18:45
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
35 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

Yes, I would from personal experience try to avoid August. Truthfully you can hardly move anywhere near any beach front. As a possible alternative you might like to consider the Eastern city of Kerch. More remote so McDonald's ain't reached here yet. A couple of good hotels, but we always rent an apartment in town and so our own thing.

No such things as a sandy beach, I'm afraid, but the water on the Sea of Azof is clear and warm, with easy beach access.

As it's remote (a city of 150 thousand) few speak english, but there are guides.

Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
585 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

'No such things as a sandy beach'

Did you miss the kms of sandy beach past the Kerch shipyards? I was swimming there last month. In summer time, take the #5 bus from the downtown bus-station (the bus-station next to the Scythian child burial mound). Right now (November 4), take the #5 to its terminus in Arshintsevo, and catch the #15 to the beach area - the #15 then continues on with country stops outside Kerch. The buildings (accommodations) that you see at the bus beach stop were formerly part of Young Pioneer Organization of the Soviet Union. Today they are privately owned.

4. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 12:05
5. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 12:05
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

You need deside, what you need to see in Crimea. If you need only Sea and little culture program - you can go to steep (West) Crimea. If you need culture program (parks, palaces, nature, mountines) - you need go to South coach. It can be Yalta, Alushta or small villages closer. In august there are a lot of people in Crimea, many russian people why can pay a lot of money for accomodation, so hotels can be expensive. If you need garanty quolity - try found at booking.com, ather accomodation can be not verry comfortable...

I have guest from germany this summer, and they dont used local public transport (a lot of people here and no conditioner) so you need used taxi... Its cheeper to call taxi company, then ask on the street!!!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

Respectfully, Uaguide, but booking web-sites don't guarantee anything. They are not even always correct about vacancies and rates. And comfort of accommodation, especially in Ukraine, has nothing to do with the accommodation availability on any of the booking web-sites.

Columbia Falls...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

I just got back from Simferpol and Sevastopol Ukraine in October.I spent 33 days there.If you are heading straight Simferpol.Try to fly into Kiev as early as possible.Only three flights South to Simferpol a day.The times are 7AM,2:30PM,9PM.If you have to stay the night in Kiev and want to be close to the airport.Take a Sky Taxi.The are White with a Yellow Stripe.You will be asked if you need a taxi as soon as you exit the doors.Do not use them if possible.They will try to overcharge you by 2 times the price.I recommend The ligena Hotel in Boryspil.Only 3KM from the airport.Very nice hotel with pool bar and restaurant.No shopping close.

Once you get to Simferpol.I recommend the Hotel Europe.It is a small hotel.Very nice inside.The staff is very helpful and speak English.You are close to the parks and alot of shopping.I spent 5 days there.The breakfast was good and big.The rooms were very nice and had a small fridge.The only hotel i found that had one.Wifi was very good anywhere in the hotel or outside the door.It was a good price compared to the Ukrainian Hotel and nicer.I stayed in the Ukrainian in Sevastopol for 3 days it was ok.Wifi was bad and not in the rooms.I went to the site Airbnb.com.I rented a flat for 20+ days.It was a better deal.Very nice and i could cook.The price was better then any hotel.I was 2 minute walk from the Black Sea in the City Center.

The language to know is Russian for the Southern park of Ukraine.I found a few people that spoke English there.I had a Great time. I plan to go back in a few months.

I hoped this helped.Any other questions feel free to ask me.Have a Great time.

Columbia Falls...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

I just got back from Simferpol and Sevastopol Ukraine in October.I spent 33 days there.If you are heading straight Simferpol.Try to fly into Kiev as early as possible.Only three flights South to Simferpol a day.The times are 7AM,2:30PM,9PM.If you have to stay the night in Kiev and want to be close to the airport.Take a Sky Taxi.The are White with a Yellow Stripe.You will be asked if you need a taxi as soon as you exit the doors.Do not use them if possible.They will try to overcharge you by 2 times the price.I recommend The ligena Hotel in Boryspil.Only 3KM from the airport.Very nice hotel with pool bar and restaurant.No shopping close.

Once you get to Simferpol.I recommend the Hotel Europe.It is a small hotel.Very nice inside.The staff is very helpful and speak English.You are close to the parks and alot of shopping.I spent 5 days there.The breakfast was good and big.The rooms were very nice and had a small fridge.The only hotel i found that had one.Wifi was very good anywhere in the hotel or outside the door.It was a good price compared to the Ukrainian Hotel and nicer.I stayed in the Ukrainian in Sevastopol for 3 days it was ok.Wifi was bad and not in the rooms.I went to the site Airbnb.com.I rented a flat for 20+ days.It was a better deal.Very nice and i could cook.The price was better then any hotel.I was 2 minute walk from the Black Sea in the City Center.

The language to know is Russian for the Southern park of Ukraine.I found a few people that spoke English there.I had a Great time. I plan to go back in a few months.

I hoped this helped.Any other questions feel free to ask me.Have a Great time.

10. Re: Any recommendations for hotel & tour agent?

Removed on: 21 November 2012, 12:05
Get answers to your questions about Yalta