We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montenegro Trip Report

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Montenegro Trip Report

My partner and I have just returned from a week in Montenegro, staying in an apartment in Pranj about 5km outside of Kotor.

We flew to Dubrovnik with Easyjet, flight on time both ways and at a cost of £68 each including checked in baggage was good value.

We rented a car from Dubrovnik airport and were given an upgrade to an automatic at no extra cost. As Montenegro is mountainous and has lots of twisting roads, it was a bonus. For any Brits not used to driving on the left, then Montenegro is a challenge. I lived abroad for many years, so it didn't bother me, but can imagine it would make some people nervous. In addition, the driving of the Montenegrins certainly leaves a lot to be desired. They constantly tailgate, toot, overtake on bends and generally drive dangerously. Parking wherever you go is a nightmare.

We crossed the border between Croatia and Montenegro within a few minutes and with no problem at all, both on arrival and departure.

The scenery is breathtaking and whilst we were there it was very hot.

We found prices very reasonable. Although they use the Euro, they are not in the EU. Meals in restaurants were cheap except for the fish. Seafood was cheap, fresh and delicious. Local beer, wine and vodka also very cheap.

The old town of Kotor is delightful, but best visited once the cruise ships and tour groups have left. Perast is another pretty little town to visit if you can find somewhere to park.

We visited B udva and Petrovac, which are similiar to any resort in Spain, Italy etc and dominated by Eastern Europeans. Beaches in general are pebbly.

There were lots of mosquitos so a good idea to take insect repellant and one of the plug in machines.

We enjoyed our stay very much and would certainly visit again.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Fantastic trip report, thanks for sharing.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi, Welshtraveller

Thanks for your comment. I think it is a pity that some of the less visited areas don't always have a lot of information on their forums for prospective visitors.

We went to Luxor last December and I found the DE's very helpful and willing to share their knowledge. We even met up with a couple of them whilst we were there. Have booked to return this December as we loved the place.

I am fortunate to have travelled extensively, but as I am getting older I like to try less known areas or places I have wanted to visit for a long time and never quite made it.

Sometimes it can be a bit disappointing on TA when their is very little information on a destination.

I don't for one minute think I am an expert on Montenegro, but may be able to help fellow travellers with some of their queries. One thing I can say, is it is a beautiful country with some magnificent scenery and well worth a visit.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi,

I totally agree with your comments. This forum is extremely quiet and there is not a great deal of information or trip reports.

Like you, I am well travelled, usually having five holidays a year to various destinations. I have never been to Montenegro but would love to visit one day. For me, the biggest problem is trying to find suitable accommodation. I like a high standard of accommodation, usually five star and either the reviews are poor or the accommodation is extremely expensive. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks for your posting , I am sure your trip report will help future travellers.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi Welshtraveller

I visited Croatia 3 years ago and thought it a lovely place and we stayed in an excellent family run hotel right on the beach. I wouldn't say it was 5 star, but it was definately comfortable, good food in their restaurant and run by a very helpful family.

When I was doing my research for Montenegro, I found exactly what you have said. Top end accommodation is very expensive, so we decided on an apartment, which was fine. We did a mix of eating out, which was good value and cooking something in the apartment which was cheap.

Tivat airport is very close to Kotor Bay, but both flights and car hire were more expensive there than by flying in to Dubrovnik. I was surprised we managed to get the flight so cheaply as DBV is normally a fairly expensive destination, even for flight only. It certainly was no hardship going into DBV and the drive down to Kotor was very pleasant, passing by some pretty scenery en route. Having said that, I believe the border crossing can take 2/3 hours in July/August, but I would never travel at that time of year. It took us a matter of minutes as there were only about 3 cars in the queue in front of us.

I would certainly advise you to visit and I would say, sooner rather than later. There is a lot of building work going on in the leisure sector and I think in a couple of years it will start to look like Spain/Portugal. We didn't (fortunately) encounter any British/Iish/German/Dutch bars or 'tea like mother makes', but I son't think it will be long. Or rather, the slogans will be 'vodka like father brews' as nearly all the tourists are Eastern European.

There are still afew places in Europe that are not overrun by hen and stag parties etc, but it is just being able to find them. If you know of any hidden gems, please let me know. Another place I would recommend is Asturias in the north of Spain, but only if you like stunning scenery, views and good food as the weather tends to be similiar to British weather.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi,

Thanks for the information - we're off to Montenegro in Aug with so its all very helpful!

I've been trying to find somewhere tranquil and if possible by a beach to indule on our first night - do you have any recommendations?

Thank you!

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

The beaches which we visited were BUdva and Jaz Beach, Petrovac and Sveti Stefan, which were all busy places. We actually stayed on the bay of Kotor, which is reasonably quiet.

On the bay of Kotor there is no beach as such as it is pebbly, but there are plenty of places where you cn access the sea and the water is clear.

We stayed in an apartment and as previously said the hotels seem to be quite expensive. However, if you do choose a hotel around the bay, it will be tranquil.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
195 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi,

I have just found a deal on flights to Podgorica and am considering a short trip to Montenegro but I have no idea where we should visit. It would be for me and my husband, I am 28 and he is 36, and we would want somewhere where we can both swim and relax and also do a bit of sight seeing. We wouldn't need a crazy nightlife but some decent restaurants and bars perhaps. Any ideas?

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi, Hayal

Due to the geography of Montenegro we did not visit Podgorica, plus I believe it not to be very beautiful. Therefore, can't advise you of somewhere I have never been. The furthest south we went was Petrovac, which was not too big and had a reasonable beach and some restaurants.

We were there in June and it was fairly busy, so I would imagine gets crowded in July/August.

In general we founfd Montenegro reasonably priced, but we stayed in an apartment, not hotel.

Maybe somebody else on the forum can suggest places to stay.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
195 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Thank you. I don't know much about Montenegro but I had heard that the Kotor area is more beautiful. I am not sure how long it would take to get to this area from Podgorica? The only flights that we can get go to Podgorica we don't have a choice in this matter, I just want to see if we can find somewhere suitable within a reasonable distance (we wouldn't mind driving a little but as we will only have just a few days in total, I wouldn't want to spend too long on the road).

London, England
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montenegro Trip Report

Hi, Hayal

We rented a car, but there did seem to be a fairly frequent bus service. Perhaps you could do some research on the internet, or contact the Montenegro Tourist Board.

I am not sure how long it takes from Podgorica to the coast, but it can't be too long. Perhaps Petrovac, Budva or Bar are nearer than Kotor.

All I can say, is that it is a beautiful country and I would visit now before it becomes overdeveloped.

Get answers to your questions about Kotor