We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

Cromer, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

I'm planning a visit to Kotor (and Mostar) next month from Dubrovnik.

I'm wondering whether it's worth paying extra for one of these 'small group guided tours' I see advertised in an air-conditioned minibus, or would the public bus be better?

I'd like to stop in Perast en route - but am not really interested in Budva, where most of the guided tours seem to end up. Any advice welcome!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

Hi

Montenegro is not as well designed for tourism as Croatia, so you'd have to plan your bus trip well. Also, although getting into Montenegro is fine, getting back into Croatia can take a long time at customs and I wouldn't want to be stuck in a hot coach for a long time without air-conditioning! Both Perast and Kotor are small and you can do them without a tour-guide. In fact, Perast lays on free tours once you get onto the monastery island and Kotor is definitely one of those places where you can best discover by wandering around outside of a large group. Budva is a total blot on the Montenegro landscape and well worth avoiding if at all possible!

If you really want to avoid the unnecessary extras (and cost) of a guided tour, I'd look for a coach trip to Kotor then hop on the bus/taxi to Perast before returning to Kotor to get the coach back to Dubrovnik. The bus station is just outside Kotor and the busses went to Perast at least twice an hour when I was there. The buses stop in the middle of the main road (must be a Montenegrin thing) and you walk down to the town where you can catch a boat to the island. The return bus fare was less than 3 euros; a taxi ride one way was 10.

Hope that helps!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

You can also get guided walking tours once you are in Kotor - I was on one last week and i highly recommend doing it this way with a local born and bred guide!

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

Are you able to share contact details for your guide in Kotor?

Kotor, Montenegro
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

HI,

If you looking for a local english speaking guide, here's a phone number 0038269424462 and e mail is gojash30@gmail.com

Christchurch, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

Hi Dragana,

Are you able to connect with tourists at port arriving by cruise? How much is cost? How long is tour?

Alex and Tobi

Kotor, Montenegro
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

Hi Alex and Tobi,

Yes, no problem, guide can meet you in front of the port. The tour depends on what you wish to see. walking tour in the old town is 40 € (up to 2 hours). Best way is to contact a guide directly on e mail that I left or a phone that I left on a previous post.

Regards,

Dragana

7. Re: Visit to Kotor - guided tour or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 07:19