We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kotor as a base using public transport only

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Kotor as a base using public transport only

Hello,

After reading some posts in this forum, I'm worried about choosing Kotor as a base using public transport only. Here are a few questions:

1 - some people said you have to take a bus from Kotor to Herceg Novi, then a taxi to Dubrovnik. Is that true? What about the Libertas bus, isn't that direct?

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.com/voznired.pdf

2 - What happens in the border, do you have to get out of the bus? Does the bus driver wait for everyone?

3 - Can I do a day trip to Perast using public transport only? How much time should I allocate for Kotor and Perast?

4 - Can I get to Split or Zadar without getting to Dubrovnik?

We are going to travel in may.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

There are local busses from Kotor in all directions. No problem. If you want to go around the bay, you may have to walk 2 km from the end of the local busline to the (free) ferry.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

Thank you, Pierre!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

Hi, here are a few thoughts.

Yes there are definitely some bus lines that travel between Dubrovnik and Kotor. At the border, usually the customs officer may walk into the bus to check your identity, but people don't get off. It's a pretty painless process.

For Perast, you would just get on the local bus from Kotor and one day is totally enough. (incl lunch in Perast). For Kotor, depending on how much you want to get into history, 2 days could be enough (incl. a hike on the fortress).

Lastly, for getting to split or Zadar from Kotor, I am pretty sure all buses stop in Dubrovnik, so in that sense it's unavoidable.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

Thank you very much for your detailed reply! It's ok if buses stop in Dubrovnik, just wanted to avoid changes if possible.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

There are major bus lines that travel further up the coast to split and you don't have to change in Dubrovnik, but I don't have the link to the carrier.

I did a quick search and you some links that may be helpful

montenegrohostel.com/index.php/en/tourist-in…

balkanviator.com/en/…

ak-split.hr/EN/…VozniRedOdlazaka.aspx

Edited: 15 January 2014, 09:01
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

and another link for the bus station in Kotor with the dept time of the "panorama" bus to Split

www.autobusni-kolodvor.com/en/terminal.aspx…

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

Thank you again, this is going to be of great help!

8. Re: Kotor as a base using public transport only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kotor