We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches for swimming and when to book

melbourne
Level Contributor
59 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best beaches for swimming and when to book

I will be visiting Montenegro for the first time next July and I am starting to think about it already in terms of where to stay/how long...

I was thinking of basing myself in Herceg Novi but open to suggestions...

We are a couple in their late 20s/early 30s and want to be able to swim at a preferebly sandy beach, or if there are rocks, smaller ones ( the kind that you can manage with bare feet).

Last year I was in Zlatibor and I struggled to find good accommodation because i booked 3-4 months before the flight.

How early would you recommend booking for top accommodation?

Any other tips must sees, suggestions are welcome :-)

1. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 11:05
melbourne
Level Contributor
59 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

Thanks for the info. :-)

How easy is it to get from Herceg Novi to Kotor bay?

I have heard that you can't swim in Kotor (water is dirty?).. what would be the nearest nice/decent beach?

What would you recommend as a good location for me to use as a base to explore the other areas you have mentioned at the end of your post? I would prefer somewhere near a beach where I can swim and not too crazy crowd wise.

Kotor, Montenegro
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

Herceg Novi is far from Kotor about 45km and Ithink the price of taxi services to Kotor is about 30euro. you can use bus of course, this is a number of bus station in Herceg Novi +382 31 321 225.

Kotor is far more beautiful than Herceg Novi and you can swim, water is not dirty and can go on small beach Bajo's tower, 10 minutes drive from Kotor.

Day trips from Kotor can be done very easily so it is a good base for exploring.

But Budva is, like I said, in the middle of events.

Crowds this year is almost gone, what will happen next year in July, I can only guess ... Also in Budva have more beach for a couple of minutes drive while in Kotor was limited...

Zabljak, Montenegro
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

Herceg Novi is a good quieter base but only really for a couple of days. you do not want to be out there and do day trips elsewhere.

Kotor is a great base for exploring but lacks the beach aspect, the water can be dirty. Jaz beach near budva is amazing and very very nice, but its bet to get there with a car. If you base yourself in Kotor for a couple of days you can do the sightseeing and exploring then head back to the beach.

There is a place near Ulcinj called Ada Bojana. This is the nicest beach in the whole of Montenegro. So once your done in Kotor I would suggest you get yourself down to there (2 hrs from Kotor max) and spend some time here also!

scotland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

We have just returned from Cavtat, croatia, which is quite close to the Montenegro border and did a trip down to Kotor town and then over to Budva .We are mid forties travelling with 2 teenagers, we all love to swim off rocks or a beach. Kotor was really worth a visit, the old town is fab, so much history, great little bars and some nice shops. It had a very nice vibe we felt and could easily stayed there 2 or 3 days. The water round the area looked very clean and if there is a little beach close by it would be amazing. The scenery is breathtaking.

Budva on the other hand is a dump and i would not waste any of my life visiting it. Complete traffic and human gridlock. The beach is filthy and completely chaotic and the water is not too attractive, lots of stuff floating about. My husband and son went for a quick swim because we had travelled for an hour to get there. The best thing about Budva is seeing it in your rear view mirror.

So many beautiful places to visit in the area, that is not one of them

6. Re: Best beaches for swimming and when to book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17