We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romania vs. Austria

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
285 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Romania vs. Austria

My wife and I are planning on visiting the Czech Republic and Hungary in December. We had initially planned on Praugue-Salzburg-Vienna-Budapest but I was considering dropping Austria from our intinerary and adding Romania. We only have 12 days and I am wondering if we went to Romania for 4 days at the end if that would be enough time to see Transylvania and Bucharest. How are the trains/times from Budapest to Transylvania and then to Bucharest? I love castles, scenic country side and my wife loves art museums and medeival history. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Snickerbilly

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Romania vs. Austria

FYI Romania is not a dump, you have probably not even visited this country, maybe only seen some news on TV.

If you're interested to learn more, I can suggest you a few places to visit and you will surely change your opinion. I'm not saying it's a perfect country, there's no such thing, but despite the corruption, it's a very beautiful, charming country and many tourists think so. There still are many things to improve and will do so, but please don't call it a dump because it's NOT!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Romania vs. Austria

Calling Romania a semi-dump is an exaggeration, although it seems to be dirty and worn out.

Remember that in winter the conditions can change dramatically. Also note that every place south of the Alps is another world when it comes to the reliability of the infrastructure. What you take for granted in Texas may be valid in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, but not in Hungary/Czeck/Romania.

BTW The 'barbarian' countries north of the ancient Roman Empire (north of the Rhein/Donau rivers) are high culture countires where there's an integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning, ie so called 'book-wisdom'. Everything works as is supposed to. If not, there's a problem.

The ex-Roman Empire can be called civilized, where there's long history in arts and a sort of 'build-in' lighter way so doing things. Nothing really works as it's supposed to, but it's not a problem, things will be fixed on the fly.

london
Level Contributor
409 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Romania vs. Austria

I know this thread is quite old but I just had to comment. I visited Romania with my family last year and absolutely loved it. I don't usually revisit places, as there are so many places in the world to see, but Romania is one I shall definitely revisit at some point.

Of course it's not perfect, but then no where is, unless you like to cocoon yourself in some 7* resort, and pretend you have visited the country.

Parts of Romania like the Transfaragarsen mountain route are stunningly beautiful, quoted as being the best road in the world to drive. Sighisoara and Sinaia are so full of medieval history in lovely surroundings, and Brasov is one of my favourite places in Europe.

You see people riding around on horse & cart, family, hay, animals, and even a washing machine, and then you see someone in a flash sports car. I'm sure there are problems for a lot of Romanians, but for us they were friendly and helpful.

When we got incredibly lost a local policeman, who didn't speak any English went out of his way to help us, drawing us several maps to help us.

Okay rant over, and back to your orginal question. I actually would leave Romania out of your itinerary as I think it would be too rushed, and the weather could easily disrupt travel, reducing your time even more. Please consider Romania for a future holiday, probably in the summer, or have a longer winter holiday there if you like sking.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Romania vs. Austria

Romania is great. Nice scenery, nice people. Much less expensive than Austria. Soon once Brasov gets an airport it will become spoiled like Prague.

At least here you can mingle with the locals elsewhere you feel like a tourist

15. Re: Romania vs. Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2011, 14:05
Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Romania vs. Austria

I wonder why HRH prince Charles bought 8 properties in Romania, why he is often visiting places in Trasylvania and even sent his youngest son to spend some days here. Can you call that place a dump?

Austria is one of my favourite countries and I have only good words fot it, but one should write in good faith things about a country and try not to ofend people. Thanks.

Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Romania vs. Austria

Thank you for your kind words. I live in Brasov and I will guide you and tell you a lot about my town. For free, of course.

East London, South...
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Romania vs. Austria

I will be returning to Romania for my second longer visit in September after a previous 3 day visit. I fell in love with the place!

I have not been to Austria, which I am sure is also beautiful (will be visiting for 2 days in September as well), but Romania has something very special about it and I tell all people who ask me that this is the most amazing place I have ever visited.

Brasov, Romania
Level Contributor
25 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Romania vs. Austria

I read this thread and I found it interesting. I want to quote two people making their arguments: First: "If you must see a corrupt semi-dump, go Romania, go! Winter? Trains? Post-communist Europe? Madness." Second: "I had myself bad experience in England, due to poor education and gentlemanship of authorities, and I never officially or publicly bad-worded your country. I would suggest to give a proper advise, based on your experience, without generalizing." Could you tell that the second one is from a "dump" uncivilized country?

I would never call a country a dump. I'm sure every country has its charm and it worth a shorter or longer visit.

In the end, I want to tell you that I could take a walk at any time of day and night in any part of Brasov or Bucharest.and feel safe. Could you say the same about London?

20. Re: Romania vs. Austria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:15