We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out. My girlfriend and I are looking for some accommodation for 1 night in Alexandria and we'd prefer not to stay in a hotel, as from what I've seen in online reviews, they are either too expensive or a bit dodgey. Does anyone know of any hostels or b&b's that are good value?

They don't have to be particularly awesome, just clean, cheap and friendly.

If no one knows of any, what would be recommended for somewhere that is sort of central to the train station and catacombs that isn't way too expensive?

Cheers

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

There's only one hostel in Alex. Not sure what it's like but not sure I would ever want to stay in it. There are no reviews for it on this site - but maybe try Googling and searching for "Shatby [or Chatby] Youth hostel" and see if it really is as bad as I fear it may be.

As for B and B's. these are mainly just smaller more run down hotels. Egypt has never really come to terms with B and B's as yet.

There is one hotel that is consistently mentioned as a decent place to stay by budget travelers and that's The Union Hotel. Generally comes in at less than 100LE a night, located in the downtown area, close to Tram transportation and maybe 5 mins from the train station in a taxi.

Reviews can be found here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g295398-d3026…

New Zealand
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah I've continued searching and didn't come up with anything other than the one you suggested. The review I read said that it should be pretty much last resort as it's extremely noisey.

I'll look into the Union. We're only there for a night and most of the next day, and I assume we'll be out and about most of the time too, so it should be suitable.

Seeming as you're an destination expert, what things do you think would be worthwhile seeing for such a short trip? I'd like to see the catacombs and the library but don't really have too much of a clue about anything else.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

A member here wrote an excellent summary of all the things they saw in Alex, and it pretty much covers all the best places to see along with a bits of advice from their travels. If you follow this link, and then scroll down to read VancouverMukluk's post, it should help a lot in your planning:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295398-i9725-k294…

If you do stay at The Union, note that it is a popular place and can get booked up in peak times, so booking is advisable, however they only have phone or fax facilities, no email.

Request the highest room you can to get away from the street noise, the building isn't that tall, but even an extra floor will make all the difference - and this applies to most hotels in Alex.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

That was a brilliant summary, thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

I'll give the Union a ring on the weekend and hopefully they'll have a spot for us.

Thanks for all your help!

5. Re: Alternative accommodation in Alexandria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 05:18