We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandra worth the time?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Alexandra worth the time?

Like to ask u all about Alexandra

I was wanting to go there

Is it worth it or over rated

For all of u who been

What did u think

Egypt has so many cool things to see

That one has to be selective

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

Alex is a good day trip from Cairo IF you've had plenty of time to enjoy the rest of the country. When I'm in Cairo for several days, I like to go to Alex for the blue skies & sea breeze. (My lungs thank me for taking them away from the smog of Cairo)

My favorite ancient site in Alex is the Kom es Shoqafa (Catacombs).

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

It depends entirely on your interests.

I should be happy to spend another day there - but ONLY if both the Graeco-Roman museum and the catacombs/painted tombs were open - you may have a significantly different list of "must-sees" which might take several days to visit and appreciate.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

Alexandria has a very different feel to other Egyptian cities on the tourist routes. It is not somewhere I would suggest you go if the alternative would be to miss out on the main sights of Luxor and the pyramids at Giza, for example. But whether you are going to think it is worth it really depends what you are interested in. It is not exactly a beautiful city but it has hidden charms, with lots to see and do. As mentioned already you can take lovely walks along the long seafront and breathe the sea air; visit historic sites mostly from the Graeco-Romano period (my favourite is Kom El Dikka, the Roman Odeum). There are some small but good museums and the famous library. I fear we will wait many more years for the Graeco-Romano Museum to re-open (I am sure it will be worth the long wait like the Royal Jewellery Museum was when it reopened). ILME

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

Perhaps these will help you to get an idea about the city:

https:/…EgyptAlexandria

Unlike most travellers who at the vey best go for a day trip, I spent few days there, of which never regretted.

But then, as been said above, it depends on your interests and what exactly you are seeking to find in Egypt..

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

hi Alexandria is different than the rest of Egypt, if you are looking for the ancient Egyptian sites, i would recommend Luxor & Cairo

if you have enough time when you are in Cairo you can take a 1 day trip to Alexandria (approx 2-3 hrs by train, also there are a lot of buses that can take you there, transportation is not a problem)

Alexandria is a Mediterranean city, you can see Graeco-Roman museum and the catacombs, as well as the Alexanrian Library (biblotique Alexandrina)

you can go to the Qaitbay Citadel,

there are many organised 1day trips from Cairo to Alexandria, that show you the main attractions so that you dont waste your time (found in tourist offices, hotels etc)

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

I agree, it may have its charms but it is Greco-Roman rather than Ancient Egyptian, and I would only recommend it if you have already spent plenty of time in Cairo, Luxor and Aswan. If you are a particular devotee of the Greco Roman period, there are numerous other Mediterranean countries with far better remains of that period anyway.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

"If you are a particular devotee of the Greco Roman period, there are numerous other Mediterranean countries with far better remains of that period anyway."

Doubtless - but at Alexandria one may see the influence of Ancient Egypt on the Greeks and, later, Romans who settled there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

We will be in Alex for two full days in March and want take a day trip to Rosetta. Would you recommend this for Friday or Saturday? Taking into account sites that would be closed, traffic, etc. Thanks!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

Ccra, thanks for the pics they're great.

Collie

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
59 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alexandra worth the time?

hi guys i am a guide in the city the greco romain museum is closed since many years for restauration

but a lovely museum is the archeogical museum inside the library of alexandria

alexandria is different because of its cosmopolitain history its wheather more fresh and clean

dont miss walking and wondering the ancient buildings

the catacombs

the library

montaza gardens

have a nice time