We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

northampton, uk
Level Contributor
36 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

Hi -- first item on my bucket list hehe! Single female, travelling alone, no real qualms just a few questions......

Flying into Cairo - what is the best way to get to Alex?! - train or plane? (The trains a lot cheaper?!)

Am considering Sofitel Cecil Alexandria, Alexander the Great Hotel (Alexotel) or the Windsor Palace or Metropole.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome - thank you!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
229 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

well ezmee,

i would say Cecil would be your best option. Train is much cheaper, just make sure to book a first class on what is known as "Spanish Train" which is around approx. USD 12 (EGP 70). It is recommended you pre-book your ticket, but, if traveling alone (one seat), there is a good chance you can buy the ticket onboard.

Please note the Alexandria (local's summer destination) is usually VERY crouded during the summer. You better have a good reason to pick Alexandria as your destination in Egypt!

Good luck

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

You have not specified what month you plan to visit as it might make the forum advice more specific. Alex is crowded in summer and even when I was there last (just a month ago) it was very hot for sightseeing and generally for walking around.

For Cairo to Alex land travel, I have only done the journey by car (air conditioned taxi from Cairo airport). But close friends have taken other routes and if on a budget I recommend the train although there are air conditioned coaches as well.

I hope you enjoy your visit. ILME

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

Travel between Cairo and Alexandria will also depend on what time your plane lands at Cairo airport. a lot of the European airlines arrive in the early hours of the morning and this limits your onward travel options considerably.

BA and BMI at least arrive at more respectable times than KLM, lufthansa, air france etc.

https:/…smartSearch.jsf

Check out available train times and prices here, but don't forget - to get to the train station you will have to get all the way across Cairo.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

Hello,

I am Karim living in Alexandria.

Best option between Cairo to ALexandria is train if you want something just from the airport then the bus but it takes 5 hours or a private car would be around usd 50 one way train is probably the cheapest but if you wnat ot go directly for the airport then train will be so far to reach so the best to take private car or bus from the airport.

From my point of view Azur hotel is much better than cecil it's on the sea in the middle of the city so everything is reachable

If you need any more info just let me know

Thanks

Karim Kassem

Edited: 20 July 2012, 16:44
5. Re: 1st visit to Alex and 1st time travelling alone :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:15