We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dehra Dun
Level Contributor
251 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Alexandria

My wife and I are visiting Egypt and would be reaching Alexandria by the sleeper train from Aswan.

1. You think it is possible to take a shower in the train and get fresh?

2. Is there a place in or near the station where we can leave our luggage??

3. We would only have a couple of hours in your city, need to be back in Cairo by night, and we are only interested in seeing the Mediterranean Sea. So, once we get out of the station, where should we go and how? If by taxi, how much should we pay for the taxi??

4. One other thing you would recommend we must see.

Thank you in advance,

Nitin

India

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Alexandria

There are two stations in Alexandria. Leave the train in the second one, the termination.

On platform 1, there is a tourist information office with very helpful staff. They will show you the left luggage place where you can leave your luggage.

Ask a Taxi to take you to El Ramle Station, costs 3 LE, it is a nice square very close to the sea. There a few cafes and restaurants around it where you can have a bite or a drink. Try Terianon, Taverna or Sultana ice cream. You can walk along the cost to the citadel which you can sea passing by the ancient port. On the way, there is a nice sea food restaurant too called Fish Market. It is about 20 minutes walk from El Ramle to the citadel.

So, this Ramle-Citadel option is one possibility.

Option 2:

You can go to Ramle Station and walk along the sea front but to the opposite direction from the Citadel until you raech the Alexandria Library. It should be another 15-20 minute walk. If you want to take a taxi to the library from the station it costs 5 LE. You can make the walk to El Ramle on your way back as this might allow you better time management. The library tour takes about 20-30 minutes and there is usually a tour every 15 minutes.

Option 3: Stanly Bridge: You will need a taxi for this one, from the station it might cost around 8-10 LE. There will be the chance to take great photos there. You can combine it also with any of the above. Taxi from the bridge to the library 5 LE and from the Bridge to Ramle about 5-7 LE.

Dehra Dun
Level Contributor
251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Alexandria

Many thanks for your detailed answer. It is really helpful.

Only one thing is still on my mind: can one have a shower and freshen up in the train? I know it is a stupid question, but i hate to travel without shaving and having a nice bath. You think that is possible on the train?? :-)

Thank you once again.

Giza, Egypt
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Alexandria

Sorry, there are no shower facilities on the sleeper train, however your cabin will have a small sink and mirror with soap and towels, so you can shave and freshen up that way. There are usually two toilets per carriage and each one has a sink, but trust me, you wouldn't want to use that as it gets rather, er, messy after a long journey...

Your train will get into Alex around 9am, and Darsh has given you some great suggestions of things to do. If you are adamant about wanting a shower, I suggest you take a cheap hotel room, so that way you have a place to store your bags and you can shower, take a nap, etc. if you want to. The Union is nice, clean and conveniently located right on the Eastern harbor in the area that Darsh recommended. You can get a basic room there for under $10.

Two blocks down from the Union is the Sofitel hotel (formerly the Cecil) which has a wonderful roof bar (with Chinese restaurant) where you can sit and have a drink and get a great panoramic view over the entire eastern harbor.

You can walk all the way around the scenic harbor to the Qaitbey fort (AKA the citadel) - it's a refreshing walk that will take you 30-45 minutes. Tickets to the citadel are LE20 and while there's not much to see inside the fort (they took out the maritime museum years ago) you can walk on the ramparts and get a great view back over the eastern harbor.

Be aware however that the weather in Alex can be a little volatile this time of year - it may be windy and rainy. If that's the case, I suggest you take a taxi along the corniche to see the scenery, then visit the library as Darsh suggested or head to the (relatively) new National Museum which is excellent and well worth seeing.

4. Re: Trip to Alexandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:21