We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's

Which Sousse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bath
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi's

We are off to marhaba hotel and would like a little advice on cabs If poss please :)

I'm under the impression that there is a taxi rank outside the hotel,I'm have read a few reviews which state to make sure you get into the right type of taxi, I was just wondering how I identify"the right kind"!

I'm really keen to go to pek at night for a meal and to see the fountains,I'm just a little concerned about getting there in a cab,I wouldn't want any trouble as we will have our 2 small children with us!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi's

Yellow metered taxis are everywhere. Here's a few tips I put together a while ago about getting around from Sousse by all the various types of transport...

To get from PEK to Sousse either use the Noddy train, the public bus which terminates outside Sousse Medina, or inexpensive yellow metered taxi. Make sure the taxi driver users his [day] meter, or agree a price beforehand, and make sure you count the fare out to the taxi driver to avoid any confusion.

TRAINS - There are two train stations in Sousse. The main line one (commonly called La Gare Tunis), and the metro (La Gare Metro, or La Gare Monastir).

The mainline station is in the town centre, and the metro station is a few minutes walk past the Pirate ships at the port.

Use the main line station, for places like El Jem, Sfax to the south, and Hammamet, Friguira Park, and Sousse to the north. Trains have 1st Class and 2nd Class, are cheap, some trains are cleaner than others and the loo might 'chuck-up' a bit! And just because you've go t a 1st Class ticket doesn't mean you'll get a 1st Class seat!

The metro line goes south to Skanes (Sahline and Les Hotels), Monastir, and Mahdia. Monastir and Mahdia are both worth visiting for a day out

BUSES - Local buses run from just outside the Medina, but the main bus station for Inter-city bus travel is outside the touristy area. For tourists the local buses are only really useful for the PEK or Skanes routes. The buses are usually bendi-type, and get full quickly. If you don't like hanging on to something to stay upright then get a taxi!

LOUAGE - There are also shared 9 seater mini-buses called a Louage. They leave their Louage Stations when full, pick up along the way if there's room, and zoom on to their destination as fast as they can. The more journeys a driver can do in a day the more he earns. The main Louage station in Sousse is outside the touristy area.

NODDY TRAIN - Very popular, and drops people off along the way, usually at the hotel, between PEK and Sousse. It terminates at the southern end of Ave Habib Bourguiba in Sousse, which is only a few minutes walk from the Sousse Medina. The Noddy Train doesn't offer too much comfort, and is open to the elements. There are different coloured Noddy Trains, and if you buy a return ticket you can only use the return part on the same coloured Noddy Train.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi's

If you want to give the trains a go, then the timetable is here...

www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm#.Ue4of9KTgxB

You'll notice that the timetable mentions two Sousse stations, the main one and Kalaa Seghira. Unfortunately all trains don't stop at both stations. Kalaa Segira is 8Km out of town, so you'll have to take a taxi or louage.

As I mentioned in reply #1 above, there is also a metro station which has hourly(ish) trains to Monastir and Mahdia.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi's

The taxis outside the hotel will be the right ones for short drives like to town or Port El Kantaoui. It will be no problem to use them with your children.

The taxi in front of a hotel tend to overcharge. I mostly walk a bit on the road and then take a taxi that pass.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi's

cailinjade

From your location, the simplest way to visit Pek is as Maenan states, a taxi(yellow) Outside hotel, or hotel gate.

Pek is north of your hotel, Sousse Central is south.

Check with reception on "average" fares.

I would say between 6-10 dinar for the trip you ask about.

No more !

Plenty cabs about and you wont have a problem getting one for return journey. Taxi ranks aplenty in Pek too.

These cabs(yellow) are regional.

For example,from where you are they will use routes to Pek Sousse and Monastir .

They take 4 passengers, one up front, 3 in the back seats.

The white taxis (mostly 8 seaters) do the longer journeys outwith yellow cab zones.

You wont need these if staying "local"

Although, if you planned some "touring"

These white taxis can be hired for the day.

Regards

Mick

Edited: 23 July 2013, 08:37
bath
Level Contributor
118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi's

Wow... Thank you all so much for the info! :)

I am going to be taking notes to plan our fabulous holiday to a t! I want to take in plenty of sights plus grab a couple of days on the Beach too!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi's

No problem...

Take small notes or coins with you when you go in a taxi... If you show a note of 10 or 20 dinar some drivers pretend to have no change...

7. Re: Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Sousse