We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please

Which Sousse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help please

Hi all,

I am due to go to Sousse in May and this will be my first time in Tunisia. There are four of us and we are booked to stay at Riadh Palms Hotel, I have some questions and was wondering if anyone can help at all..

How far is everything - attractions/food place wise from the hotel we are at? Is it walking distance?

What sort of excursions can we do and is it best to book whilst we are there?

Are there any islamic sites such as mosques/museums close by for us to visit?

How far is Kairoun from Sousse?

Is it cheap to get around in a taxi?

I know there's a list there lol but as a first timer I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before we go :)

Hope someone can help me!! Thank you

Saira

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please

Your Tour rep will have trips available to book at the hotel. THe main Mosque in your area is in the old town of Sousse a taxi ride from your hotel. Insist on the meter being turned on before the taxi starts away.You can ony enter the courtyard of the Mosque the prayer room is only for Muslims. you must be dressed very modestly no T shirt or short skirts your head must be covered in a scarf. In the Madina or again dress modestly .and around & about.The Museum in Sousse is at the top of the Madina. Best reached by taxi again just ask for musee. just check to see if all the refurb has taken place.When you exit the Musum turn right walk about 150 yards and on the right you will see a stone gateway.That is the top of the Madina.many shops in there but if you want to buy then HAGGLE hard.if you are pestered then say LE SHUKRAN(no thank you) and wal away plenty more shops.There are cafes on the way through the Madina for coffe and snakes.To my mind the best ones are the Aladin that you will see on the right hand side going down you get a great view over the city. The best food is at the Ribat cafe right at the bottom of the Madina near to the Mosque area..with the first wall of the Mosque on your right and shops on your left go past the last shop on your left where there is a small passage up on the right is the Ribat Cafe owned by Ben his wife is a great cook.The ancient Ribat is just over the way .It is wise to take a toilet roll just in case you need the loo!

There is a large Goverment shop at the entrance of the lower Madina the Soula Centre not sure I spelt thar right.Kairoun is a fare way from Sousse about an hour so again the tour rep will help you. EL JEM has the Roman Arena and its wonderful Museum werll worth a trip.to be able to spend more time then the hotel trip will alow then a Louage taxi fron Sousse or Train from Sousse takes an hour very cheap. The train times

http://www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm#Gabès the trai time is early so you may prefer the Louage which is a shared taxi but as there are four of you you should not have to wait to leave.You will need a yellow taxi from your hotel to the Louage station. at Eljem you pay at one of the attraction but are charged for both about 10 denars these days plus a small charge for a camera.

The eay way round is to have the train station at your back.Turn left go past the Mosque second left the Musem is down on the right hand side of the road. When done just retrace your steps you will see the Arena down the street you cannot miss it !!

Use GB cash and charge some at the Tunisian airport. say £100 to get started you can get more when you need it at the hotel or any bank. Rent a safe deposit box at the hotel for ALL your cash plus tickets passports or unused jewelry.Do not leave valueables in your room when out and about.

Have a great holiday I have been many times and love it

london
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please

Hi

I have booked to go to this hotel in Sept, and if it is the Hotel that I think it is, then you can walk into Sousse along the beach- it should only take about 10 to 15 mins, also the taxis are very cheap- they are everywhere, however if you want to use one, dont use the ones directly outside the hotel walk away from it and please agree the price BEFORE you get in even if they say their taxi is a metered one because some of the taxis drivers are crooks and will charge you the earth.. and have cottened on that English taxis are metered so they fix them! . (this really annoys the honest taxi drivers) - check with the hotel or your rep how much a journey should be. as a rough guide, when I was in the Hotel Marhaba which is the next but one hotel towards PEK a trip to Sousse should be no more than about 3/4 Dinars and PEK 4/5 dinars but the prices may have gone up, Also the prices will go up after 9.30 at night by about a dinar,

If you go to the Museam please take a cardigan as it is freezing inside lol. For changing your money you can get some from the sirport or take some pound coins and a few five pound notes, they love them because it is more or less worth double in their money, please dont be surprised if some of the staff ask you to change their dinars English money as the money exchanges only accept notes not coins,

I also leave all my toiletries there for the cleaners at the end of the holiday as these items are very dear over there, so try and take enough with you to last.

I hope this helps

london
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please

Hi

I have booked to go to this hotel in Sept, and if it is the Hotel that I think it is, then you can walk into Sousse along the beach- it should only take about 10 to 15 mins, also the taxis are very cheap- they are everywhere, however if you want to use one, dont use the ones directly outside the hotel walk away from it and please agree the price BEFORE you get in even if they say their taxi is a metered one because some of the taxis are crooks and will charge you the earth.. and have cottened on that English taxis are metered so they fix them! . (this really annoys the honest taxi drivers) check with the hotel or your rep how much a journey should be when I was in the Hotel Marhaba which is the next but one hotel towards PEK a trip to Sousse should be no more than about 3/4 Dinars and PEK 4/5 dinars but the prices may have gone up, Also the prices will go up after 9.30 at night by about a dinar,

If you go to the Museam please take a cardigan as it is freezing inside lol.

I hope this helps

Edited: 30 March 2014, 11:30
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please

Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated :)

Saira

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please

Hey, i went with 4 of my mates and we stayed in the hotel near Riadh Palms..

There is a sheesha cafe almost opposite the riadh palms hotel if you are into your sheesha :)

You have a shoppping centre under your hotel as well and a supermarket very close by..

Taxis are as cheap as anything.. whatever price they say just start with 1 dinar lol.

We went to see the Kairouan masjid as well.. The masjid is beautiful. we went in a louage, it is very cheap and it will get u there in the same time as a taxi.. Just get a taxi to drop you off at the louage station. There is also a big masjid in the sousse shopping centre.

In May, the waterpark should be open and so should the water activities.. just head down to the beach and you should see it there.. for quad biking we went to Port el Kantaoui (10 min Taxi drive) to a place called Kantaoui Quads (25 Dinars per person which is a tenner for us)

You will have an awesome time !!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please

And for the non-arabic speakers: a masjid is a mosque

(ps Yus - I think I know who you are, we were in same hotel as you, did you find the tabacco for your shisha's ?)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please

@Yus M .. Thank you that's really helpful!! Yeah I'm wanting to visit the masjid in Kairouan looks beautiful how far was it from sousse?

Yaay I love waterparks so that's good news :) what's the food like?

Saira

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please

@Yus M .. Thank you that's really helpful!! Yeah I'm wanting to visit the masjid in Kairouan looks beautiful how far was it from sousse?

Yaay I love waterparks so that's good news :) what's the food like?

Saira

Europe
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please

>>>

There is a large Goverment shop at the entrance of the lower Madina the Soula Centre

<<<

This is not a government shop, just one with "fixed prices" (they aren't, try to haggle :) ...) and it attracts a lot of tourists. There are some more fixed price shops around in Sousse and Kantaoui. The prices there are not really the cheapest, but one can take it to get some idea of the "right price region" when visiting other shops.

There is, however, a government approved shop (mostly for carpets) in the Medina, but it is quite hard to find. If one really wants to buy government approved, check with the tourist office near the Medina for addresses,

Europe
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please

There are, BTW, quite a few mosques in Kairouan, it is not just the "big one". Interesting too could be the "barber" and the "three gates" ones. :)

The distance is about 50km from Sousse - better take a bus than a louge, it will be more comfortable, the price is about the same. The bus starts at the Gare Routiere near the Souk El Ahad.

Get answers to your questions about Sousse