We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on tipping & airport

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
advice on tipping & airport

Hi there

I forgot to ask in my last post, what would you generally tip when you are away?

Also has anyone tried the VIP Lounges at enfihda? If so would you say it was worth it? and does it skip the queues at the check in etc?

thanks in advance

:-)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on tipping & airport

If you type the word "tipping" in search bar above your post

Lots of peoples views and tips ;-)

Here is a link to a recent thread on the topic

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297943-i9229-k7…

Edited: 01 August 2014, 08:25
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Thanks clerryjungle,

does anyone know if the bank machines, show u wat you would be taking out in english as my worry is that i am going to take money out the machine n have no clue what i am taking out my bank :-/ I would still b looking to take the money out in dinar the first nyt etc.

Thanks

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Hi work on 1 pound Sterling - 2.87 Dinar. If you have a calculator on your phone simple to check.

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Hi Amanda

Quite a few machines have English translation button so you can see what buttons to press etc, as for Dinars, if you withdraw, say 20 Dinar or 40 Dinar from an ATM, then that would work out around £6 or £13 in todays currency, give or take a few millimes.

Plus it depends which bank you are with for transaction charges, im with Santander and up until last December they charged £1.99.

Julie

glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Thanks, should i check the currwncy rate the day i leave? Im not looking forward to the money part of the holiday as i like to hav most my money changed before i go and it looks so confusing lol, hopefully the translate button will b on the one in the airport, what do u use milliams on? Is there a certain amount of them that make a diner? I know i sound daft sorry

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Millimes are not a lot Amanda, theres 1000 milimes in 1 dinar.

I save them all up and use for tips.

Seriously, you will be fine with the money, the exchange rate is set everyday so theres no need to shop around to get the best rate, change or withdraw small amounts at a time.

I usually withdraw between 40 to 80 dinar from ATM, that lasts me for quite a while.

Everything is so cheap out in Tunisia.

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on tipping & airport

And you are not sounding daft at all, far from it.

We all were first timers with the currency at one time.

1 Dinar is around 36p .

You will be fine Amanda.

Julie x

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on tipping & airport

We use millimes a lot...

One baget in the shops: 190 millimes

One bottle water: 450 millimes

There are copper coins of 200,100 and 50, 20 and 10 millimes. To us it seems 'rubbish' but for a poor Tunisian a few of them is a lot of money.

There is also a silver coin of a half dinar or 500 millimes. Very handy in taxis and to tip in cafes.

Tunisians are always short on small money so keep your coins for taxi drives, toilet visits,...

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on tipping & airport

Thanks all really appreciate the advice, never been to a country with totally different currency balgaran leves are easier than diners lol, good advice tho and i will take note of it :-) got a note pad n a pen for all the advice ive gathered off here so far, due to go in bout 12 days, so tryin to be prepared for once lol, am i right in sayin they show pricing like 7,900 and all i would do is give them a 5 diner note/ coin and another 3 diner coins? Or would the millims come in handy for the 900 part of that? X

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on tipping & airport

<<am i right in sayin they show pricing like 7,900 and all i would do is give them a 5 diner note/ coin and another 3 diner coins>>>>

YES!!

Enjoy your stay

Mick

Edited: 08 August 2014, 09:58
Get answers to your questions about Sousse