We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

Which Kangerlussuaq hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

I'm flying to Kangerlussauq to board a ship and having a difficult time finding out about the airport and surrounding area. I arrive at 10 am and do not board until 4 pm so I'm looking for a tour or activity to fill the time.

Is there much of an airport terminal there? Is it easy to get around town?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

It's not exactly a big airport. There's a new departures/arrivals hall, which is maybe 40 or 50 feet end to end, a self serve cafeteria, a pretty basic bar upstairs, and a small shop, plus the hotel reception and the tourist office. There's a restaurant past the cafeteria, but I think it's only open in the evening. There's also a supermarket over the road. The town itself is not much to write home about - it's an ex US air base and looks like it - but it's easy enough to walk to what passes for the centre. If I were you, I'd look here (it's the tourist office I mentioned):

http://www.wogac.com/

You;d have time to go on the musk ox safari. Or just go for a walk - you get good views from Black Ridge (head into the town past the International Science Support building, cross the bridge, go left up the hill) or Mt Hassel (head west away from town towards Sugar Loaf Mountain, then you'll find a path leading left up the hill from the road)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

It seems that WOGAC is busy that day. Does this town only have one tour agency?

A question about taxis: are they available from the airport?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

There's at least one taxi, maybe more, and yes, WOGAC is the only tour agency. Kangerlussuaq town only exists for the airport and the hotel, really. That's pretty much all there is - an airport, a hotel, two or three hostels, a supermarket and 500 people

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

i was just there. you can pay to leave your things in a locker at the airport. you can walk around to the other shops. the polar lodge. make your way to the other areas of K.

our ship had arranged the tours. there was the tundra tour where you could possible see musk ox, etc. but you're not going to see animals:

a driver said he had never seen animals.

it's too hot for the animals to be at this location.

once the first bus passes it scares the animals away.

tour to the glacier - i'll assume the tundra tour road passes some of the same road for a good amount of time. you'll see the area, the 2 glaciers and can step on the inland ice. very cool.

if you had time, you could hike 1.8 km to stay overnight in a tent on the inland ice. expedition leader was Kim.

other than that, bring a good book. oh and your mosquito net.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

Thanks for the info, now I know what to expect.

I guess if all else fails and the lone taxi isn't available I can always drag my luggage the 5 km to the harbor.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship

it's a pretty straightforward road. you can always try to hitchhike. the greenlanders were very accommodating.

Reply to: Kangerlussauq To Meet A Ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kangerlussuaq