We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to Mandalay?

london
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should I go to Mandalay?

i only have a limited time in Myanmar with my 7 year old and we are visiting Yangon and Bagan. Should I make the effort to go to Mandalay and forgo extra time on the beach in Ko Chang to do this? I am spending 2 days in Yangon and 2 days in Bagan so far. I decided not to go to Inle as my little one has a low boredom threshold. Am I crazy to miss Mandalay? Help! All advice gratefully received. Thank you all!

Liz

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
798 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

I'd have to say that a 7yr old is going to be far more bored in Bagan & Mandalay than Inle Lake. Kids love the trip on the lake & taking bike trips round the canals, visiting the Jumping Cat Monastery, taking a horse & cart ride, eating pizzas & drinking fresh smoothies.

It's going to be a great experience to visit the ancient temples of Bagan but putting Mandalay on the same trip & cutting out Inle would not be a good idea, temple & Pagoda overload for sure. Yangon, Bagan & Inle would be a great mix for you & your child.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

If you have never been to Bagan I definitely would recommend staying there for the full 2 days-your child will enjoy an ox-cart driven tour-and while he may get tired of the pagodas-you could stay at a place with a pool where he will be occupied and you can relax and enjoy the ambiance. While in Bagan, you could take a quick trip to Mt. Popa where I am sure the monkeys will be something he will not forget!

Have a wonderful trip to a beautiful country!

Monywa, Myanmar
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

There you are In Bagan on 30 DEC to Jan 10 there your 7 years young will be happy there cause of festival.

and others follow others good advice.

Welcome to Burma.

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

Hi Liz

I agree with previous post by ciscopudd. I had a chance to do a day trip to Bagan with my Australian friends and their 7 year old son in January 2007. We wished we had another day there.

if you like to read my story, please goggle search at::-

www.thingsasian.com/stores-photos/37143

I am sure you will have a memorable visit to Bagan and hope the trip conincides with The Annual Festival at Ananda Temple in January.

yangon
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

Please be very very careful with Mt. Popa monkeys. Do not, Do not give the food near by you . If you wish throw away the food for them. My suggesstion is better not. The monkeys can be very friendly and can be wild at any seconds.

Last August , I visit again with my 11 years old daughter and got bitten by the monkeys. The monkey look very friendly ,holding my daughter's hand , took the food from my dauthter's hand . When my daughter want to walk away , suddenly that monkey attack and bite to her arm.

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

Hi Liz

In case you have difficulty linking to site which I included in Post No. 4 above. Try goggle search as :- Day Trip to Bagan Myanmar

This will lead to the story and pictures.

All the best.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

For such a tight schedule I believe you can miss Mandalay. Everybody say how could you miss Mandalay if you go to Myanmar but actually Yangon and Bagan will make your trip.

Mandalay is not very impress from the first sight so you need time to relax and get into it, also in Mandalay many stuffs from China and business with China is blooming, for that reason the surface of the city is pretty much commercial ( from my point of view)

I believe your kids will like Bagan as previous posts mentions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
76 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

I was in Myanmar for 9 days in November and I went to Inle Lake just because everybody recommended - but realistically it is nice and relaxing but not spectacular. Sorry I am coming from beautiful, spectacular by nature Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. People look for something what they don't have around them on daily basis - so take that in mind. Here is how I rate my experience:

Yangon Shwedagon pagoda - spectacular - been there twice on the first and last day on my trip. Everything else in Yangon can't come close to it - so 2 days are more than enough, even one full day is fine. Your kid will hate shopping in the Scott market ...

Bagan - spectacular - especially climbing on top of pagodas - your kid will love it. I spent 3 days and went every day on top another pagoda for sunset. Wanted to do the "Hot air balloon over Bagan" but they cancelled it. Went to Mt Popa - it is Ok but nothing special - I enjoyed more the countryside and local market and seeing kids going to school, seeing villages and cattle on the road on the way to Mt Popa. The view from the Moount Popa is nice but nothing special. 2 days in Bagan are fine - you don't need to go to Mt Popa - the kid will be bored during drive to there.

Mandalay - yes of course - I don't understand why people say do not go. If you want extra fun rent a blue taxi - the kid will be excited. And go to Sagaing - beautiful view from the top of the hill (the blue taxi will not drive you - you have to go on stairs, or pay a regular taxi to go to the top), after that go to the Inwa - ferry ride, than horse card ride, and do not miss the U-Bien bridge for sunset - it is spectacular! The kid will be excited about all various transportations. You can skip Minguin - except for the boat ride - it is nice and relaxing - the rest not so. Also there are few very nice pagodas/temples in Mandalay near Mandalay Hill like Kuthodaw, Sandamuni, Golden Palace Monestery...Nice photo oportunities, and the kid can play hide and seek... And if you plan to go to Mandalay hill for sunset better have a taxi drive up and down, or at least have a flashlight as they do not light up stairs! I ended up going down on stairs without a flash light in dark. One young monk was counting stairs in the dark in front of me and a lady from England while we were holding hands (to stop each other of falling) and sweating out our high adrenaline, scared that we will break our bones in the dark! It would be anyway to much for the kid.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

A 7 year old should be facinated with Inle lake mostly because of the various modes of transportation: boats, cycle rickshawa, mini horse carts...

I would imagine Inle Lake might be one of the best places in Burma to keep a 7 year old busy!

I am also from Vancouver and although we live in a very scenic place we found Inle Lake also stunning and interesting in a very different way. Life on the lake was facinating, the floating gardens, people fishing and paddling their boats with their feet, the numerous temple sites, travelling on those long open boats, the jumping cat monastary, chocolate pancakes, pizza and great kid food in the town of Ngnagshwe, the temples of Kakku... We found that we needed the 3 full days at Inle Lake and would definately return for another visit in Burma.

Everyone has a different experience but ours was a very positive one.

Happy travels!

Kat

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I go to Mandalay?

We also highly recommend Mandalay. We considered Manadalay an essential part of our Burma trip. Seeing the famous temple site at Minquin (also a great boat trip on the irawaddy River) , the U Bein bridge, the monastaries of Saigang and the temple in Amarapura were incredible. Also the shopping in Mandalay was amazing! We can't wait to go back!

Happy travels!

Kat