We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Southampton England
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Hello , our travel agent has offered us this Hotel for our stay in November and I am struggling to find any reviews of it . I understand it is quite new .

Has anyone got any opinions or information on this hotel as it is going to increase the cost of my trip and want to be able to do a bit a research before I agree to it .

thank you

Karin

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Just opened on July 21. Looks deserted.

Nov is terribly busy and it may be the only choice for high end hotels.

hotelshwepyithar.com/index.php…

Southampton England
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Thank you :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Hi,

Myanmar is very shortage of hotel right now and the traffic rule is almost none exist . I've been to myanmar many time and most people are friendly and nice according my experience. Hotel shortage is very big problem lately, so booking before travel is a must to myanmar. last time i traveled bagan and visited the mandaly ( second capital ) and which was a very nice trip except the worst experience with the hotel which i booked on arrival , a new hotel called Shwe Pyi Thar ( they claim 3star ) . I did doubt when all hotel no star to 4star were fully booked but i gave it a chance since they mention that it's new. They got plenty of vacant rooms, 220$ per night through travel agent as i remember. Firstly the hotel location is very very far from the city, secondly hotel's service is a joke and the foods is terrible which costed me and my friends stomatch ache for 3 days. After all it's quite clear that we have only 2 choices, if you want 3 to 4 star hotel choose sedona or mandalay hill hotel. If you looking for 2star then choose hotel which locate within the city, either way you won't do very wrong. i've got the good time in mandalay after moving to mandalay hill hotel. So don't believe their local travel agent say how many star the hotel is because they have no idea what 3 star 4 star should be, they think bigger = more star. I hope my experience would help some here .

Wish everyone happy travel

Edited: 20 December 2012, 09:20
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,305 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Thank you for joining TripAdvisor today and for your first post.

You say you a regular traveller to Myanmar so perhaps you would be so kind as to write and post your hotel reviews,including your stay at Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha.

Thank you.

SS

ps. Is American English your first language?

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'd say i traveled alot asia especially thailand , china and myanmar. Tripadvisor is very informative for me. Since I'm not good at blogging or doing review, atleast i hope sharing my experience could help someone here :)

I'd recommend hotel mandalay, sein sein hotel and a hotel almost next to it, which i can't remember the name right now which all have nice service, clean room with cheap price. But these hotels are mostly fully booked. Regarding shwepyithar i strongly recommend to avoid because of poor service, high price and terrible location. I'd love to share some of my good and bad experience with thailand and china hotel with tripadvisor too later.

Regards,

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,305 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Thanks John

SS

M C
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

This hotel is very nice. It is not in the center of Mandalay but it is very clean. It is a new hotel and like every new place they need to gain more experience to deal with the influx of tourists.

Mandalay
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Strongly agree with John.I've same experience.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

Mandalay City Hotel is a good option, quite near to the train station. Pool, lovely staff, good breakfast, excellent taxi drivers rustled up for us by the hotel. Windows that open. No lift but whats a few stairs? Paid 56 US per night.

Klang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
25 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Hotel Shwe Pyi Tha ?

We also stayed in Mandalay City Hotel recently. It was lovely and we'd have tried the pool which looked very inviting, except we were worn out from our trip on the train. Agree with Jennie - lovely staff, they were able to help us book ferry tickets and the early morning taxi to get to the jetty.