We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Could the experienced travelers educate me between the difference between Viking's Mandalay supposedly refurbished in 2013 to cruise Myanmar and Ayravata's Paukan 2012 new ship? Which company is more reliable and which river cruise ship is more comfortable with good food? Cruise Lover.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,157 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Not sure-but if you want the best ,and most exclusive,and no doubt expensive boat on the Irrawaddy then wait till later this year for the new Orient Express "Orcaella":-

www.orient-express.com/web/orc/orcaella.jsp

Malton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Or go with Pandaw - superb service and comfort. See www.pandaw.com

Malton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

p.s.

Think I should add that I have no connection with Pandaw other than as a very contented passenger!

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
973 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Anyone taken the Viking cruise?

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Can't compare. Going on the Viking Mandalay January 9, 2014. Will write a review on my return. Hope the journey lives up to Viking's reputation!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

The Viking ships are chartered from Pandaw, although not sure how the sinking of one of the ships ( the Sagaing ) will affect this arrangement. They are 'down' one ship ( of two ) . I believe the service is from Pandaw, just with a Viking premium. Paukan is a real. Myanmar company that seems to be very well run ( and they do not lose ships as Pandaw has done twice now ). The itinerary on Paukan seems to be more interesting so we chose them for December 2014.

Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

I'm another very contented Pandaw cruiser. My review, "Cruise Review Pandaw Cruises in Myanmar" is on Cruise Critic Message Boards. www.cruisecritic.com click on Community, then Message Boards then scroll down to River Cruising.

Our cruise was on a small ship (16 cabins) for 14 days and took us well upstream from Mandalay but Pandaw do offer shorter cruises with similar itineraries to Viking.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Pandaw has 5 ships in Myanmar. Viking takes over specific Pandaw cruise dates and labels them "Viking", it's the same ship and crew. I have no stake in Pandaw myself but had an excellent experience on a 2 week cruise in November 2013.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
48 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

Hi all. The forum is asking for comparisons between Viking and Paukan. All the same old Pandaw promotion is off topic.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compare Viking's Mandalay Ship Verus Ayravata's Paukan 2012

That's incorrect, because the Viking cruises are on Pandaw ships operated by Pandaw with Pandaw crews.