We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding family home

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
8 posts
Save Topic
Finding family home

We are gong to Myanmar in November with a small tour group. We will be in Mandalay for a couple of days and are considering breaking away and doing some exploring on our own. The main objective would be to try and find my Grandparents home in Mandalay which was abandoned in 1942 during the Japanese invasion. The only address I have for it is "Civil Lines ,Mandalay" but I do have a very clear photo of their rather large and distinctive home. I wondered if it was feasible to hire a guide, send a copy of the photo and go to see it. Also, was thinking of trying to go to Maymyo,where I lived as a small child. Any suggestions of how to go about this would be appreciated. I am very excited about this adventure as I have always wanted to return.

1. Re: Finding family home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:37
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,878 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding family home

Good call,and kiemander, do let us know how you get on.

I have a WW2 map of Mandalay and I will dig it out and see if I can find the location of the "Civil Lines" an area traditionally in Colonial times adjacent to the main military HQ for Senior Officers and Civil Servants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Lines

It is no longer there but I should be able to find it's location

SS

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding family home

If possible, I would like to help you in your way. I am Mr. Soe Soe from Mandalay and my email address is ( kosoesoemdy@gmail.com).

Welcome back to Mandalay and Myanmar

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding family home

Thank you to Win n, Silver swimmer,and Kosoesoemdy for the helpful and encouraging replies. I now feel it may be possible to find the family home if it is still standing. I know it survived the war and I believe it was used by the Japanese as their headquarters during their occupation. Any and all suggestions are welcome on this project, We need all the help we can get! Kiernander.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,878 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding family home

I've found the map !!

It is marked "restricted- HQ Fourteenth Army-amended by aerial photography -printed December 1944"

I've even found the mule corps lines,the infantry lines and even the S&M lines!!

Obviously a recreational area for when they were off duty.

0-:

There are some fascinating detail including St James Leper colony,the Club,the Racecourse all spread around Fort Dufferin. I think your guide will find it as interesting as you will.

It is far too large to scan and attach to an email so please PM with your home address and I will post it in a tube to you.

SS

Edited: 01 October 2013, 12:12
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding family home

How fascinating kiernander. Did you know that George Orwell spent time in Mandalay and Maymo whilst undertaking his police training for the Indian Imperial Police Force. His novel, Burmese Days is a fascinating tale of British colonialism set in 1920's Burma and may be of interest to you. In addition, Emma Larkin's Finding George Orwell in Burma, traces the authors life and work in Burma during this time.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,878 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding family home

He wrote it at the town of Katha,the setting for Burma Days, and we visited his old teak house there when we stopped off on our Pandaw cruise.

Boston...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding family home

Thank you for your post Davo1965. Eric Blair, better known as George Orwell, worked with my grandfather while he was writing Burmese Days.He left soon after it was published as he became rather unpopular amongst the european community. My Mother knew him quite well but never mentioned it till just before she died. I have read the Emma Larkin book and am presently reading Exodus Burma by Felicity Goodall which is the tragic true story of the walk from Myanmar to India in 1942. My father was one of the participants and fortunately survived but never spoke about it as it was so horrific.

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding family home

Even more fascinating. I wish you well in your search :)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding family home

I am not looking for a family home but a family / guesthouse that I stayed at in Bagan ,1978. The family were so lovely, but the most noteworthy aspect was the outside toilet. One had to climb a bamboo ladder into a cabin suspended on stilts. After using it, you hauled a bucket of water up and flushed the contents down a huge bamboo cane that had been cut in half to resemble a gutter. On coming down the ladder, I noted that the bamboo gutter landed into a small pen that housed animals ( I think pigs) who were licking their lips after enjoying the contents.

I would love to know how this family, who must have been one of the forerunners for the tourist industry, have fared.

I do have a faded photo of us all standing infront of the house, which has Burmese script notice beside it , presumably the name.

Ant ideas of where I can post this photo in the hope that some old timer will recognize the family home?