We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse , not far away from Mandalay, celebrates in 18.10.2013 and 19.10.2013. It is only one hour drive from Mandalay to Kyaukse to enjoy this festival.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Can you tell me when this Elephant dancing festival is 2014. And can you give me any more information on what happens during the festival?

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Elephant Dancing Festival celebrates in KyaukSe in Oct 7 & 8 in 2014. It always celebrates in two days ( the day before full moon day & the full moon day of Thidingyut in October ).

Dancing Elephant Festival is one of famous festival in Myanmar. It's a marvellous performance of two men together to dance in rhythm. A huge Elephant figure is made from bamboo and paper. Men take their places inside the figure and dance around the town to the accompaniment of Dobat and Drums ( Myanmar traditional musical instruments ).

The Elephant dancer circles three times at the foot of the hill to pay homage to the Shwe Tha Lyaung pagoda. It is a dance that requires precise rhythm and timing in order for the elephant dancers to maintain unity inside the elphant figure. People from far and near come to visit Kyaukse and watch the elephant dance.

It was celebrated since Bagan Period.

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

I went to this last year and thought it was great. I went in with some others on a cab from Mandalay and back. I think my share was 10 or 20 USD. The event is free, like a fair.

It goes on all day and staying for several hours was good for us as it was extremely hot. Villages from the area all compete, trying to add special features or effects to wow the crowd and the judges. The winner will get to take an offering up to the local hill temple the next day. They do set aside some covered seating that forigners are invited to sit in, or you can mill about in the crowd for maximum energy. The whole town gets gridlocked so get in early. By all means, go!

Rome, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Hallo,

could you please suggest me a place to sleep in Kyaukse during the festival and from there how can I go to Inle lake. I m going this year. Thanks a lot Valeria

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Just one & half hour Drive from Mandalay. Better idea is to visit there day return & then to Bus station for Inle lake.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Is it better to go on 7 Oct and 8 Oct 2014 for the Elephant Festival OR the program for both days are relatively similar? Any firm schedule that you can share with us? What time does the event start? And is there public transport to get there from Mandalay?

Any input re Elephant Dancing festival is greatly appreciated!!

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Better to go in Full Moon Day for more crowded & more competition for Elephant Dancing. It's Oct 8.

The Festival starts from 9:00 AM in the morning to late evening. The best time to see it from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM before they got tired.

There are pickup transportation from Mandalay to Kyaukse. Better option is to take private taxi to see around Kyaukse ( Ta Mot Shwe Gu Gyi Pagoda & Shin Pin Set Thwar Pagoda are worth to visit there when you are in Kyaukse. Both are very old Temples).

My Suggested Itinerary is:

( 1 ) Start with private taxi around 8:00 AM in Mandalay ( Just A little bit Over one hour Drive to there )

( 2 ) Enjoy the Elephant Dancing Festival for a few hours

( 3 ) Visit to Shin Pin Set Thwar Pagoda & Ta Mot Shwe Gu Gyi Pagoda

( 4 ) Then Drive back to Mandalay & on the way Paleik Snake pagoda

( 5 ) Back to Hotel

Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

How much does a private taxi cost?

And if I were to take the bus direct to Kyaukse, how much does it cost, where do I board the bus, and what time is the earliest and latest bus? And how long is the journey- 1.5hrs?

And from Kyaukse, instead of heading to Mandalay, is there a bus directly to Kalaw OR Pindaya? If yes, please advise what's the timetable for this route, where to board the bus, how long is the journey and what's the cost?

Thanks for your valuable input!

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

All the Buses are running from Mandalay to TaungGyi ( Kalaw & Inle lake are on the way ). They pass the Kyaukse.

Difficult to buy the tickets to Inle lake or Kalaw at that time without booking advance.

Bus to Kalaw leaves 7:00 PM.

Rome, Italy
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant dancing festival in Kyaukse

Thanks for all the useful and valuable information provided.

My understanding is therefore to go to Kyaukse for a day trip from Mandalay.

Considering that I am interested in going to Kyaukse on the 7th and take the bus to Inle lake in the evening.Could you please be so kind to give me the timetable for the route Mandalay-Inle Lake, where to board the bus, how long is the journey and what's the cost?

Thanks again

Valeria