We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Which Lahore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Bought a ticket to Lahore first week of December while in Asia. I'll stay with a male friend and his mother in a nice neighborhood. Different views about whether this is a smart idea or not. First week in December is the plan. That is if the Visa office grants me the visa. They had me return 3 times with a new and different letter. I thought I was aware and will be precautious but I wonder now if I should skip it? I do have a return trip from Nepal in case.

islamabad
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Its safer to stay with a friend & also Lahore is much more safer as compare to other cities like Karachi,Peshawar & some other cities in KPK province.Follow the dress code like Pakistani Shalwar-Kamiz ( must not be revealing) in order to avoid unwanted attention in the streets.

Enjoy your trip.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Thanks. What's the unwanted attention like? Will people be rude and angry if they think im an American or will it be sexual? My fear is kidnapping or being questioned by authorities and i dont speak the language

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Thanks. What's the unwanted attention like? Will people be rude and angry if they think im an American or will it be sexual? My fear is kidnapping or being questioned by authorities and i dont speak the language

islamabad
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

They just stare at you in public places like in the markets & nothing serious like sxual or being questioned by authorites (as long as you have the valid visa).People here re not rude very friendly & hospitable,you 'll see when you re here.

You d not be kidnapped in Lahore,Islamabad etc at all, but avoid going to tribal areas of Pakistan which re very close to Peshawar.

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

thank you again. I fell in love with the family i met. I've never met such warm people!

Brisbane, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

hi i just wanna tell u that u can go any where like butterfly , except tribal areas of Pakistan

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

thanks so much! i know i'm going to love it.

Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Hi,

if one avoids the troubled parts, Quetta and Peshawar, rest seems fine, especially Lahore, Islamabad, Chitral and Gilgit-Baltistan.

Ciao,

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

I went, I saw, I loved. Its would have been very tough to see Lahore without friends. I never went anywhere on my own. i loved especially the clothing markets, seeing the old city gates (by car only), and meeting people at home. Priceless. I sense the borders are closing and not opening but what do i know.

Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety yet again, american woman 50yo

Very good trip report Angela, merci beaucoup .