We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Karachi next January.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Karachi next January.

I'm visiting Karachi in January with my boyfriend for a friends wedding, am thinking what should I wear for the wedding and also what should I wear when traveling there? shirts?jeans?shorts?dresses?etc... wanna show my respect and don't wanna be rude. So can anyone share with me pls? any advices???

Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

AOA,

While travelling to Karachi, you can wear the western clothes but they shouldn't be revealing, please avoid shorts but jeans with shirts'd be fine.

For wedding once you're in Karachi, you can buy the dresses for the wedding, that'd show your respect to the family as well as the culture.

Ciao,

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Be careful only about places to go and with dress. I will never suggest you wear western shirts but jeans are okay. To be honest, i will suggest you to wear Shilwar & Kameez/scarf just showing respect towards the locals. Also to avoid bad attention from locals.

Also if you want to see Karachi city, keep in mind there are some places which are unsafe and you can get advice from local family and would be nice if you go with them.

HT

Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Hi,

Western clothes are very common in Karachi by women, you'd come across many females while wandering in Karachi, especially the posh areas.

If you wear the western clothes, they shouldn't be revealing.

Bon voyage mon ami,

islamabad
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Its better to wear Shalwar-Kamiz (the local dress) in order to avoid unwanted attention.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Thanks guysss. Really cant wait to get to Pakistan thoooo. so pumped uppp.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 12:46
Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Enjoy the marvels of Pakistan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

thank you very much :)

btw hows the weather like in January there? warm???

Islamabad
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

Not freezing temperatures but it's cold after the dusk, the days are mostly sunny, good luck .

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

In short Karachi is unpredictable, in general you can wear long and loose shirts and jeans/pants, it is the coldest month with temperatures hovering between 10 to 20c + -

Depending on family you are visiting wedding consists of 3 to 4 celebratory functions called, mehndi, dholki, rang, ghazal night, fireworks etc prior to the actual wedding function which typically consist of music and dance both traditional and western style (traditionally grooms and brides family compete with each other in such functions) at such events you can find many locals wearing Western style party dresses and acting like them as well.

Actual wedding day called Barat is a traditional dress day where usually highly decorated and embroidered Kameez (a long shirt) and shalwar is in vogue, such party dresses are usually quite expensive (roughly $200)

Then the final function is Valima where everybody is formally dressed up, men in jackets/suits and women in decent shalwar kameez

A conservative family and their wedding events can be quite different with men and women sitting separately and no music or dance.

Foreigner are expected to wear anything decent they like so dont feel pressurised to buy expensive local style party clothing which you would wear once in a life time (though you can search on internet as well to get an idea). I guess best advice can only be given by your hosts as they would know their families better then us.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Karachi next January.

You can wear western but try to avoid reveling clothes in public.

For wedding try to buy some clothese from local brand for eg: KHADI KHAS,DEEPAK PARWANI,SANA SAFINAS you will love

Dont forget to go to below place

Kolachi for best sea view & food

port grand: Food stree above the sea (dont forget to take high speed boat ride)

Dolmen mall clifton (all good brands local & international available)

Nueplex for cinemas

Churna Island for beatiful beach and water sports

Arena for: Bowling,& other acitives

There is no security issue if you are staying at posh areas: DEFENCE,CLIFTON,KDA

Karachi has one of the top ITALIAN,PAKISTANI,JAPANESE,CHINESE RESTAURANTS

Dont forget to try our local barbecue.

Weather will be a bit cold

Have a nice trip