We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vietianne to Vang Vieng

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
vietianne to Vang Vieng

Hi,

In June I will be travelling in Laos with my family (husband and 2 daughters age 11 and 14 yrs old)

We were thinking of travelling to Vang Vieng from Vientianne by bus, and staying overnight.

I would like to know how long it takes and how much it would cost.

Can anyone recommend accomodation in Vang Vieng?

Thanks

M

M-City
12 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

LPB > VV was about 6 hours; VV > Vientiane 3,5. Guess its the same the other way around ;-)

Asia
Level Contributor
68 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

Last month we travelled from Luang Prabang to Vte by private mini-bus so that we could stop off en route. Total cost for 2 days hire was $200 (inc drivers accommmodation at Vang Vieng). But there are many coaches and buses which do it much cheaper. Drive from LP to VV was spectacular mountain scenery - took us 6 hours (we a few photo stops). From VV to Vte the road is less interesting and takes only 3 hours.

Its worth arriving early at Vang Vieng to allow time to go on the river - even if you don't want to 'tube' then its nice to hire a long tail boat and watch the tubers at play. When we were there the river was running slowly so tubing looked a bit boring - took some 4-5 hours to do the 3 km tube run but rains were coming early so may be faster now (unless there have been heavy rains in which case it'll be too dangerous). Some of the caves are worth a visit.. not the Elephant Cave (underwhelming) but the one just south of VV which is easy walk or bicycle from town was wonderful.. great views.

Re accommodation.. we stayed at Villa Nam Song which was awful and very overrpriced at $75 a night. Not recommended. This time of year is low season so I'd probably not book in advance and check out places when you arrive. There are a few newish places right on the river which looked clean with nice views. One night with the gapyearers in Vang Vieng is enough, but a few more days in LP is worthwhile 9we spent 4 days there with was just perfect timing).

australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

Just got back after travelling with my 2 girls, aged 4 and 7. The bus from Vientiane takes about three and a half hours, arrange through any hotel or guesthouse. We stayed at the elephant crossing hotel, maybe a little dearer than some but the location and views are amazing. The owner is an australian lady which helps with info on the area and things to see. Definately take the kids on the tubing trip, mine loved it. Another must do is the elephant riding along the river, about $15 for 2 people.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng is about 130km from Vientiane, and a bus anywhere between 3 and 4 hours. The local bus is 35000 kip ($4)and goes every 90 mins, and 'VIP' bus about $7 but only goes twice a day.

Theres a nice resort by the river called 'Thavisouk resort' (not to be confused with thavisouk guesthouse), which has aircon bungalows with ensuite and river view for $15-20 depending on season. They have a restaurant deck over the river - I've found it to be the best value for the ones right on the river.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng is about 130km from Vientiane, and a bus anywhere between 3 and 4 hours. The local bus is 35000 kip ($4)and goes every 90 mins, and 'VIP' bus about $7 but only goes twice a day.

Theres a nice resort by the river called 'Thavisouk resort' (not to be confused with thavisouk guesthouse), which has aircon bungalows with ensuite and river view for $15-20 depending on season. They have a restaurant deck over the river - I've found it to be the best value for the ones right on the river.

16. Re: vietianne to Vang Vieng

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 11:23