We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how many nights to really see LP?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
how many nights to really see LP?

Hi we have 22 nights to see Thailand, Laos & Cambodia. We were thinking of 4 nights in LP. Is this enough time to adequately see LP or would we be rushing too much? We would like to see Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai & Siem Riep also. Any help with the number of nights for each to see them would be appreciated?

We are in our 50's, in good health & have traveled extensively. We are doing this trip independently so would appreciate all of your advice. We will fly from BKK- LP- SR & CM also.

Thanks for all of your help- I have learned a lot from this site!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

3 full days and 4 nights is enough.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

Agree wiht Rufus!

Where else will you be heading to while in Laos?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

So much to see in such a short time as you will loose a fair amount of time traveling between destinations.

I can't speak for LP as we are currently working our way there from Chiang Mai/Rai but from our previous travels you will need about 4 days for CM and Siem Reap.

We have pics, maps and stories of our trips to the other locations here... www.bobandjanette.com which may help.

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

thanks all. We were able to change our plane flights so we can spend more time now. We hate to rush as we like to go at a slower pace & really absorb things. Should we spend a few more days in LP, elsewhere like Vientene or Phomn Pehn ? Or should we just spend more time in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, LP or Bangkok without adding another stop? LP was the only place we were going to go to in Laos. What do you all think?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

Definitely spend a couple days in Vientiane, quite a change from LP, bigger city (not too big) some nice sights, good places to eat and better shopping,

If you can afford the time, a couple nights in Phnom Penh would be good, too.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

Vientiane is worth at least two days visit. There vis lot to do and see.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

thanks all! we are trying to make our plans now. We do have 28 nights to spend between CM, CR, Bangkok, LP & SR. Should we add PP or Vietene also or both or are we doing too much? we hate to rush from place to place. yes we want to see it all like everyone but we have been traveling for a long time & have learned from experience to just spend a few more days at each place to really get to know a place. so your advice is very much appreciated.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

2 nights each in Vientiane & Phnom Penh will allow you to get a good taste of each place...

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
67 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

I would agree with 4 nights - 3 full days is enough for Luang Prabang - I would also recommend the trip to Phonosavan ( Plain of Jars) by mini van

Alaska
Level Contributor
542 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how many nights to really see LP?

We just returned a few weeks ago from three weeks in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. We spent a couple of nights in Bangkok, six nights in Chiang Mai (which I felt was a little bit too much time), a week in Luang Prabang, and four nights at Siem Reap (which was just perfect for seeing the Angkor complex).

We didn't feel a week in LP was too much time. It felt just right for us, but you could certainly see everything you'd like to see in four nights. I heard from many people when traveling that Vientiane isn't worth the time, but I didn't go there so I don't know for sure. Surely others on this forum are better informed!

Whereas usually we're very active on our trips, our main priority for this particular trip (because we'd had a very stressful year overall) was relaxation and getting to know a few select places in depth. We really felt like we got to know LP, and I wouldn't have shortened our stay there at all.