We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang Prabang to Phongsali

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Luang Prabang to Phongsali

How hard is it to get from LP to Phongsali? Once there are there any places to stay? We will be in LP for 7 days and want to use it as a base. Any ideas and what are the likely costs re transport? I cannot see any place on the net to stay in Phongsali. Thanks in advance.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

As a base for what? It is quite off the beaten path, not terribly easy to access unless you are fond of long bus journeys. Read this site for more info

travelfish.org/location/…phongsali

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

Base for our holiday - overnight in LP and then visit countryside during the days. We are staying 6 nights and 7 days and I am sure that there is more to Laos than Luang Prabang - as nice as it is I want to have a look around the country side I dont want to be known as an oldie staying in exclusive hotels and just being a lounge lizard!!! We are also spending the same amount of time in Vientiane and am hoping to be able to go out into the countryside there as well. I am there to see the countryside and enjoy the people, but in saying that having read some of the things in the other forum, may just stick a little closer unless you can suggest some places of interest. Looking forward to your reply!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

Indeed there IS a lot more to Laos than Luang Prabang and Vientiane. If you like remoteness- trekking, small villages, very very basic accommodation, then the north would suit you . If you'd like a better tourist infrastructure, perhaps head down to Si Phan Don. Have a look at this site for lots of details

http://www.travelfish.org/country/laos

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

Phongsali is not a great place to stay. Have a look at the Plain of Jars

Make your way to Savannakhet and maybe Pakse and Champassak.,the 4000 islands.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

Phongsali is an amazing province if you are interested in seeing and meeting some of the most diverse and unchanged populations of hilltribes in Laos. It is the main province through which Yeo and Hmong (amongst others) have migrated down into Laos from Yunnan over the last 200 years or so. You can take a daily bus from LP to the town of Phongsali, the capital of the Province of the same name, and explore furthre from there on local buses. I went in '07 and '09 and loved it.

You should note though that the tourist infrastructure isn't there once you get outside of the town of Phongsali (which has guesthouses & restaurants). It is definitely for the independent traveller who doesn't need the home comforts of hot water and a menu to browse at the end of the day.

A similar option, far more set up for tourism is Luang Namtha province next door to Phonsali. Again, buses run from LP several times a day. Luang Namtha town has a variety of restaurants and guesthouses, and tour agents who can organise treks, homestays and cycle trips for you.

6. Re: Luang Prabang to Phongsali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang