We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

We have heard that the VIP bus is the way to go from LP to V as they have a sealed road all the way. Can anyone confirm this and has anyone tried the VIP bus and would it be the way to go for me as an oldie (over 55). Would really appreciate information. We have not booked our ticket as yet and would it be better to do it when we get there. only 5 months to go now and I am getting excited. Thanks heaps in anticipation. Keza

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

Well, I would fly. The road is windy and some people get carsick. 10 hours on a bus is too much for me these days. You could break the journey at Vang Vieng, and if you decide to go by bus, this is what I would do.

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

Thanks,

I actually thought the same thing but my husband says only 6 hours and the VIP is something special. Travelfish seem to have a very different view maybe we need to keep them up dated!

Keza

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

No Keza. It is 10 hours from LP to Vientiane. It is 6 hours from LP to Vang Vieng. Travelfish is a good site btw. The VIP bus is nothing special; it just has air and is maybe a bit more comfortable. I don't know what your husband expects. Last time they even had plastic seats in the aisles because it was that full.

Edited: 05 June 2010, 11:58
Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

We are now flying as we have changed our accommodation to the one you suggested and are saving enough to fly. All things being equal my husband and I will be happy to fly and after reading only good reviews on the Guesthouse we should be happy there too.

Many thanks, Keza

pennvalley
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

We are older than you and we took the VIP bus both ways to and from LP and Vientiane and enjoyed it very much. We enjoy traveling by road, rail or river instead of air so the local sights can be seen and enjoyed. The road is excellent, sealed the entire way. It is a bit crooked in places, if you get carsick you might keep that in mind. We're from the mountains in California so maybe we are just used to crooked rural roads, but the roads there seemed fine to us. Just in case though the bus attendents gave out carsick bags. They also passed out cold drinks, snacks and they stop for a good local lunch which is included in the price of the bus ticket (at least it was included in ours). The busses we were on had clean toilets but oddly enough they stopped for a bathroom break in a couple of places just along the road and the local people just headed out to the bushes, in spite of the bathroom on the bus.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

Hi

We travelled from Luang Prabang to Veintiane stopping overnight in Vang Vieng in April 2010. We hired a private driver through Europecar in Vientiane, the reasonable cost included the driver, petrol and insurance. The driver was very safe and he took us to a couple of out of the way places to eat and would stop for us if we wanted to take photos etc. In my view this is one the best ways to travel in Laos.

Regards

Tracey

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

I can certainly recommend a very good private driver who I am sure would be affordable for your trip. His name is See and he lives in a village just outside LP.

He is safe, funny, knowledgable and very honest (an ex-monk). For anyone wanting to travel in relative comfort in Laos, See is perfect for the job!

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g295415-c123262/Luang…

He has a new email address too - seelaos@hotmail.com

Regards

Grant

miami
Level Contributor
195 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

tracey,

thanks for the info. how much you paid for the taxi from LP to V.???

9. Re: VIP bus from LP to Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 05:16