We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

Has anyone done both boat trips from Huay Xai on Nagi of Mekong and the boat journey from Nong Khiaw down to Luang Prabang on the Nam Ou River. I've read that the later is by far the most scenic but more difficult to arrange. Any information on this trip would be appreciated. Only have time to do the one journey.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
510 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

I'm bumping this because I'm interested in this question also, for our upcoming February trip to Laos. Does anyone have any information comparing the two trips? Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

The boats Nong Khiaw - LP are easy to arrange and mostly leave every day - but they are basic boats with bench seats and a cushion, and a roof for shade. They leave most days at 2pm, or you can charter one any time - there are about 20 boats waiting around for work at Nong Khiaw. The scnenery is indeed better than the houayxai-LP route, but the trip is only a half day.

Nagi of Mekong is very different - it is a 2 day high end cruise costing a lot more - see the "Top Questions" in the top right corner for peoples experiences of the Nagi boat..

Mentioned in this post
Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw
Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

The Nong Khiaw is a really beautiful trip. I have taken guests on this trip twice this year. The format is:- Catch a Mini Bus from LP to NK departing at about 8.30am and 11am. 3 - 4 hour scenic trip to NK. If you have the afternoon free take a trip out to the nearrby cave and see where the townspeople lived during the war. Very Interesting and very scenic. Get yourself a riverside bungalow for about 10 - 15USD per night, good standard of accommodation and then enjoy an evening out at one of the nearby restaurants. The boats that I have travelled back to LP on have left about 10am as it is a 6 - 7 hour trip. It is a beautiful trip with amazing scenery, rapids, gold minining etc. You can travel on the "bum numbing" public boat or arrange a private boat or share same with other travellers. Car seat in boats and only take about 10 -16 people. Much more comfortable than the public boat. You need to arrange this on arrival. Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Nong Khiaw
Nong Khiaw
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
510 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

Thanks very much for this information and for the quick reply. I have few more questions:

1. You said it takes a half day. About how many hours do you mean by that, going downstream from NK to LP and upstream (which I understand takes considerably longer) from LP to NK?

2. About how much does it cost to charter a boat?

Thanks for any more help!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

7 hours downstream and easier to organise from NK rather than consider going upstream. Private boat can be between 100 - 150USD.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
510 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

Great info, John C, in both posts. (I hadn't seen your first one when I posted my initial reply.) Thanks very much!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

I plan to take a boat trip from NK to LP, bus upstream. I wonder the Nagi of mekong boat travels this route? I read that the seats on these basic boats are not comfortable.

My itinerary: Hanoi - LP - Vientien- Hanoi

Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

Hi,

Nagi only does LPB to Huay Xia and vice versa.

Cheers

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

IMHO take HX-LP trip. Far more interesting. Slow boat runs everyday around 11.00am overnighting at Pakbeng. Leaves there around 9.30am following morning - it's called Laos time -arriving LP late afternoon. One of the trips of a lifetime. See my slow boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang trip report. Nagi of Mekong is more comfortable and more expensive. neither does it run everyday.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
10. Re: Boat Huay Xai to Luang Prabang versus Nong Khiau to Luang P

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 06:15