We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is status of new runways?

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
What is status of new runways?

New runways were being built last visit in order to accomodate larger planes i.e more tourists. I understand that it is alos all part of the new provincial capital Luang Prabang which required some resettlement near the airport. As much as I don't want more tourists to spoil the place it might be easier for me to get there if they introduced say Hong Kong to LP flights

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is status of new runways?

Don't feel bad, I'm only 6 hours away from Laos but I have to fly via Bangkok eveytime I want to visit. :-(

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
460 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is status of new runways?

The new runway is completed to a stage where I believe it is ready for testing very soon. As to the actual fully operational date noone seems to know. Here reports of anything between 6 months to 3 - 4 years. Word has that there will be direct flights from Hong Kong, Beijing and K/L or Singapore (not sure which of those 2). Certainly will be bringing in a lot more tourists which may or may not be a good thing.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is status of new runways?

Agreed John. I saw quite a few more tourists in January this year than in 2008. I think the normal residents will end up being relocated nearer the airport . The main drag now will become even more touristy.

I will be going via Hong Kong to Bali a year from now but guess that will be too early. If I knew in advance I would take the stopover in HK and go on to LP but think it won't be ready.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
460 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is status of new runways?

Further to my earlier post testing of the new runway began yesterday with 3 flights in. I am told test flights will begin with big jets in the next few weeks and that there may even be a regular cargo flight from Bangkok (a godsend for us business people here - fresh produce etc.). Also told that Air Asia are expected to fly in as well as others mentioned previously. Looks like it could be fully operational sooner than I indicated.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is status of new runways?

thanks John. It will be good for you then

6. Re: What is status of new runways?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:22