We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Hi all,

Firstly no complaining about me doing this I know all about it and still want to do it :D

Are there any bus companys that do the Hanoi to Luang Prabang route instead of the Hanoi vientianne, because doing this would allow me better time layout for my entire trip so that im not doubling back at all...

Was intending to do Hanoi>Luang Prabang>Vang Vieng>Vientianne> Cross into thailand..

If there are busses that do this route will they be about the same length as the vientianne one? why do people only mention the vientianne one :P

Sorry this is just a crucial part of my planning..

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Yes there are buses doing this route crossing the border at Nameo in Huaphan.

It'll take about 24 hours but is very scenic.

I've done the Vientiane - Hanoi route on a bus and there wasn't much scenery - all on main roads - but you will be passing through some great country if you do Hanoi-LP.

Victoria
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Great that's fantastic! Does that border crossing have visa on arrival? Thanks for the help

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Don't know sorry - try asking on Thorntree.

But - the Lao consulate in Hanoi (ran out of a hotel room) is central and just a few minutes walk from Hoan Kiem lake.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Hi there,

Imjust wondering so what was your final decision? I mean did you take a bus from Hanoi to luang prabang? If you did,may I know the details? Which bus? How much? How's the journey? How long it takes? Cause this is my first backpack trip and I'm stuck with this route as well …I'm facing exactly the same problem as you were …please advice XD

Thanks a lot!

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Hi there,

Imjust wondering so what was your final decision? I mean did you take a bus from Hanoi to luang prabang? If you did,may I know the details? Which bus? How much? How's the journey? How long it takes? Cause this is my first backpack trip and I'm stuck with this route as well …I'm facing exactly the same problem as you were …please advice XD

Thanks a lot!

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

Hi there,

Thanks a lot!

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

There are overnight sleeper buses from Hanoi to Dien Bien Phu and then connecting to buses

run to Oudomxai, Laos and on to Luang Prabang.

The Dien Bien Phu, Vietnam to Oudomxai , Laos bus stops at both sides of the border (Tay Trang, Vietnam and Tai Xiang on the Lao side) for immigration and a visa on arrival is possible there for Laos but it is probably a better idea to secure the visa in Hanoi as this border crossing gets little traffic. Make sure that your means of transport does not leave you at the border as it is remote and has almost no traffic.

If you are not in a hurry take Oudomxai bus from Dien Bien Phu to Muang Khoua on the banks of the river Nam Ou (about half way between Oudomxai and DBP) and get off and take the river boat down the Nam Ou river to the sleepy Hmong village of Muang Ngoi (4-6 hours) and there you can spend a night or two or three, do some beautiful hikes in the area and continue on downriver all the way to Luang Prabang, or, as most do, get off in Nong Khiaw (1 1/2 hours) and take a minibus to Luang Prabang (3.5 hours). This route passes through some beautiful river gorges and jungle and is not to be missed!!!!

Edited: 17 November 2012, 02:54
MY
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

I'm stuck planning this route. My plan in to travel from Hanoi to lua prabang. I check some agent in Hanoi and they not give me the same answer. Does you guy actually did this, please share your experience and advice which sleeping bus company can offer. Thanks

Nanning Shi...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

When will you do the trip? In fact I am also planning a trip for a group of around 100 people in our own cars(From China and ASEAN countries) from Hanoi to Luang Prabang in the summer. Can give me some info after you finish your trip? Thanks.

10. Re: Bus Hanoi to Luang Prabang or only Vientianne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:16