We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must sees?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saluda, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
must sees?

i will be there may 31 to june 3. i want to go on day trips to Kuang Si Falls and Pak Ou Caves but other than that i'm not sure. suggestions? also, suggestions on tour companies to go through for the day trips?

i would also be interested in buying books to support local children, is "big brother mouse" the best place?

thanks!

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: must sees?

Recommend a walking tour of the temples in the heritage zone. Kuangsi is a great destination especially for swim in various pools. While the boat trip along the Mekong to Pak Ou is pleasant, the Tham Ting caves are a disappointment so don't feel that part is a 'must'.

No need for 'tours' . YOu can buy transport to Pak Ou or Kuangsi via various travel agencies or even your guesthouse/hotel. 50,000 Lao kip for a shared van round- trip 2Xs per day--11:30 or 1:30.

Recommend renting a bike and riding out to Vat Phon-Phao and along the Nam Khan River to explore outlying villages. Bikes are a great way to explore Luang Prabang but make sure you don't leave valuables in a front basket.

Then sunsets up Mt Phousi or relax with a cocktail/Beer Lao on a Nam Khan river-side cafe/restaurant.

With regards to Big Brother Mouse, they do good works but I prefer to support the non-profit, My Library at the Language Project across from Vat Nong in Ban Nong (several shops from l'elephant restaurant).

Again, no need for tour companies.

Saluda, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must sees?

ok, transport is what i meant. thanks for all the info!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: must sees?

What is a "must see' is up to where your interests lie. I disagree about the Pak Ou caves; not only did i find the journey interesting, but I also found the caves to be of interest. I agree with hiring a bicycle. I also agree with th comment regarding Big Brother Mouse. There are more worthy organisations in Lao. Don't forget to visit the museum, of course.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: must sees?

Hi again,

I agree with Rufus - Pak Ou caves are wonderful! As are both Kuangsi and TadSea falls. Walking around town and just soaking up the local atmosphere is also very nice. Mt Phousi at sunset is also a 'must do'

I have info and photos on my blog kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au for ideas too...

- K

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must sees?

Big Brother Mouse is excellent for buying books, and so is My Library (somewhat opposite the Palace).

You don't need to go through a tour company to arrange a splendid day. Every year I hire a boat on the Mekong--full day for 500,000 kip--and the captain takes us downriver to visit numerous villages along the river. These are places not frequently visited by other tourists! The boats seat around 10 people, so arrange for a group (I bring my young Lao friends and Novice Monks when I do this).

Also take some time to meet Novice Monks at the various temples. They are tremendously friendly and love to practice their English, talk about Buddhist precepts, and so forth. If you find a Novice with whom you particularly connect, ask about sponsorship--just a small donation makes a big difference to their education. I now sponsor two ex-Novice Monks and it's the best thing I've ever done!

You'll have a wonderful time--Luang Prabang is magic!

Saluda, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: must sees?

thanks again!!

Saluda, North...
Level Contributor
241 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: must sees?

just read your blog KGB and now i really wanna swim in those falls!! wonder how they are in june? (is it rainy/dry season? i don't even know)

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: must sees?

June is the rainy season.

9. Re: must sees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40