We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

How much is car hire in Luang Prabang? I can see only some companies providing tours in LP for 70 USD per pax per day, which is quite a lot ... When I have been to Siem Reap, I paid 25 UDS for A/C car with driver per day, any advice?

What would recommend, Luang Prabang or Vientiane? I have only 4-5 for Laos. Thanks.

Tomas

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

One additional question? It is ok to go there in mid August?

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

The cost depends upon where you want to go. If it's just around town (which a bike is excellent for and is inexpensive) then U$40-50. If it's a trip to the falls, then more.

But there are shared vans to the falls at 11:30 and 1, or you can hire a tuk tuk. Likewise, shared boats to Tham Ting/Pak Ou Caves in the morning.

If you've only got 4-5 days, then I suggest one or the other (though you could combine Vang Vieng with Vientiane) but not both.

And although August is still part of the rainy season, unless your unlucky enough to arrive during a big storm, I wouldn't worry too much. Sure, there are chances of rain but rarely does it rain days on end. For example, this last week in Luang Prabang we've had rains mostly at night and much of it during the late hours to early morning. Only a few days of rain during the day that's been heavy and those were in the later afternoon/early evening hours.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

Are you talking about self drive or do you want a driver?

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

Thank you. This is weird, Laos is more expensive than Cambodia? I would like to hire a car with driver, how much it is for 1 day? Laos should be quite safe, isnt it? I have been to Cambodia 2 y ago, and it was fine, i should expect the same?

Thanks for the weather info, I prefer colder weather with some rain.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

The cost will of course vary according to your destination. If you just want to be driven to Kuangsi Falls etc i would not bother with a driver, but take a mini bus or a tuk tuk. Luang Prabang is quite small.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire

Car hire and also tuktuk & motorbike hire is definitely more expensive in Laos than Cambodia. Perhaps it is because there is much more competition there which keeps prices down.

There are at least 3 true car hire firms in Vientiane - Europcar only allows its trucks or minivans to leave Vientiane. There are smaller cars available but they do not allow them outside the town limits. A 2WD truck is $88/day self drive with a 200km mileage limit.

Better to use local transport as you need it - there is plenty of it around in LP.

Leuven Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire

Anyone knows a car rental company in Luang Prabang (not in Ventiane) - Tks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire

At this stage you cannot hire a car without driver in LP. You can hire one with driver, but most places are walk, bike or tuk tuk close. You can go on local small group tours or hire your own taxi and negotiate a rate to specific place.

9. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:17