We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather/smoke in end the last week of March

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
317 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
weather/smoke in end the last week of March

The kids have a 1 week holiday in the last week of March 2013. We loved Hanoi the last time we went so would like to visit it again. Thinking of coupling it up with 2-3 days in Luang Prabang.

The mention of very bad smoke/smog from the burning really worries me however. Anybody who goes to LP a lot can help with comments?

Much appreciate your help.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

Its not a problem IMO - and often exaggerated.

Level Contributor
6,399 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

It used to be much worse in the past, but it has not been a major problem in the last few years.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

It was not too bad here this year at the end of March. Certainly should not give you any health problems if that is your concern. There was still some haze which at times would obscure the nearby mountains and reduce long distance visibility. It is still a great time to visit here.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 08:39
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

We were there the first week of April 2012 and only a slight haze in some areas but nothing of any concern.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,110 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

It depends where you are. I was in Vientiane in mid-March this year and there was a slight haze, not obvious from the ground but very visible form the plane when I was coming in. Down South, where I went next, there was no haz e or smoke ot speak of but heading up north of Vientiane it got considerably worse. Vang Vieng was pretty hazy (I am a photography buff so I notice things like this) and Luang Prabang was pretty thick with it.

Here is a photo I took en route from Lunag Prabang to Vang Vieng (just on the outskirts of LP)

This is the view of the street where my guesthouse is, downtown Luang Prabang. Of course you could still see when you're walking around, but it was hard to see across the river that week

The haze situation will also depend on the winds at that time of year and when exactly the farmers decide to start the burning. This year, it seemed to happen all at once, and you could even see the various fires on the hillsides on a daily basis.

Edited: 12 September 2012, 03:45
6. Re: weather/smoke in end the last week of March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now