We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

As above- I would like to see the giving of alms in LB but would like to do it away from lots of tourists where i would not be intrusive. Where would be the best place for me to go?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

we watched from the verandah of our room at the Villa Chitdara (not VC2)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

We stayed at my dream resort which is just over the river and we watched at a discreet distance from the front gate

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

I watched the alm giving at the temple next to the morning market (the one next to the Palace). It was quiet there, and you can observe the monks there without being intrusive (obviously you could, as a woman has proved when I went).

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

wherever you decide to watch from, just be prepared to be horrified by the behaviour of some other tourists - we saw them trying to give rice with one hand while juggling a camera in the other - awful! or running along side the procession camera in hand almost shoving the camera into the faces of the monks - very poor form!

Level Contributor
80 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

Thank you all- I already have accomodation booked so will need somewhere along a street :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

In the few times I have been to LP in particular it is the one thing I haven't seen mainly because I've been worried about how I'd react with other (not all) disrespectful tourists.

It's one of those things that should have cameras banned if possible only my opinion mind.

I hope you enjoy LP and all it has to offer. I found my best visit last year for new year. You have all the fun of the celebrations, Miss Luang Prabang and the parade both days. Plenty of fun to be had and plenty of soakings :-)

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

we watched it in the street from outside oiur hotel Chitdara, they walk right past.

People bemoan the fact the tourists are taking photos and giving alms etc. but before it is daybreak there are LOCAL ladies busy selling rice for the tourists to give and the local tour guides are making a good living from it.

People were complaining about the party scene in Vang Vieng but the dozens of bars showing Friends and getting the teenagers drunk are all locally owned. So it works both ways rightly or wrongly.

Sydney
Level Contributor
163 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

We walked up to the main street from our hotel and found a spot slightly out of the way of the monks, the faithful and the tourists. Like others, we found the behaviour of some - appalling.

Perhaps it's in the attitude of the beholder. One thing, I started to take photos from our vantage spot but stopped. Even at a distance it seemed inconsistent with the spirit of what was happening. I just enjoyed the moment and hopefully the gentle swish of the monk's robes as they moved past and the reverence of those giving alms will always stay with me...

9. Re: Where to watch the giving of alms without being intrusive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:16