We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to have blood test when on warfarin

england
Level Contributor
402 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where to have blood test when on warfarin

My husband takes warfarin and was going to take malarone for our trip around Laos, Cambodia and N Thailand in January but his warfarin clinic here in UK has told him to get tested a few days after starting malarone. This will be when we are in Luang Prabang.

Can anyone advise us as to how he can do that in LP?

Thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Your nearest clinic/hospital familiar with warfarin and with full lab facilities is probably Aek Udon hospital, Udon Thani 2 hours across the Thai border south of Vientiane

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Udon Thani has good hospitals, I suppose you could go there.

Otherwise, can't you start malarone early and get the bloodtest done in the UK? Might be easier to contact your own physician in case complications occur.

england
Level Contributor
402 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Thanks for your reply.

We're a week into our holiday having started at Chiang Mai. Only been given prescrition to cover the standard 2 days before and a week after malaria zones.

With your suggestion of Udon Thani does thst mean there isn't a clinic in LP?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

The question is "Why take malarone at all?" It is unnecessary in Chiang Mai and in Lao unless you go on an extended jungle trek.

england
Level Contributor
402 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Taking malarone is a contrversial topic on this site. This is our frist visit to SE Asia and we have taken the decision to take malarone, following medical advice, as well as using deet based sprays.

If malarone interacts with the warfarin then maybe my husband will not be able to take it.

Have taken Bartje83's advice and bought some extra tablets from the pharmacist that we have used so that the blood test can be done before we leave the UK. Hence we will make an informed decision following the results.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Hi, 2crazy... I'm a little confused as you say in your original post that you will be starting your trip in January, but then your next post says: "We're a week into our holiday having started at Chiang Mai....".

If you have not started your trip yet and will be going to Chiang Mai, if the timing is right, have your husband get a blood test at one of the hospitals there. I am on Warfarin as well, and last time I travelled, my doctor advised against me taking Malarone, due to the contraindications with Warfarin. It's also necessary to watch the kinds of food he eats as spices, certain vegetables, (usually the dark green kind) and various kinds of noodles can send his INR way up... but I'm sure you are probably aware of this.

I have travelled extensively in S.E. Asia over the years, and never used any Malaria meds, but do make sure I'm well covered with mosquito repellant with deet, at all times, and if I stay in a guesthouse with no air conditioning, I spray the room before I go out in the evening, and after I come back, and keep my windows closed. Staying in air-conditioned rooms is a good deterrent as the mosquitoes don't like the cold air...

I also get an INR blood test every 2 weeks while I'm travelling if I'm on a long trip, because of the Asian food and unknown spices - also chillies - you really need to keep an eye out for those! Hot stuff! and not good for keeping his INR stable and within range. I don't recommend getting a blood test done in Cambodia or Laos, but Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and big cities in Vietnam if you're going there are fine. Make sure to get an INR blood test requisition form or 2 from your doctor before you start your trip.

The real danger is Dengue Fever which is rampant in S.E. Asia. There is no cure for that, so cover up and take the necessary precautions. Have a great trip!

Edited: 23 December 2012, 08:11
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

" I don't recommend getting a blood test done in Cambodia or Laos"

There are a number of places in Vientiane which I would certainly recommend.

england
Level Contributor
402 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Thanks. My fault SkeezixVancouver. I should have said 'we'll be a week into our holiday and will be in CM when he starts taking tablet before going into Laos'!

Husband has now extra tablets and the Warfarin clinic will check his INR levels here in the UK after trying 5 tablets.

All your advice is excellent and yes we will use mosquito repellant 24hrs whichever way his tests go as the Dengue Fever threat is something that we take very seriously.

Have also got some repellant to use on bottom of trousers and shirt sleeves!

I am also assuming the cans of spray you are referring to can be bought easily at local shops. On the main we have gone for AC rooms but cannot be certain we will get what we think we have booked so intend to get some spray locally just in case.

Great idea to get the forms for the blood tests; wouldn't have thought of it. Also it looks like CM will be the first city where he could get the test and assume it's like in the UK where results are almost instant. Next place, excluding Laos completely which is where we'll be for 2 weeks, will be Siem Reap followed by Cape Panwa in Phuket. Are either of SR or Phuket possible places for getting a blood test?

Really helpful post. Thanks so much. He won't be pleased though to lay off the chillies!! I think he also needs to watch for the Lao Beer!

Unfortunately not going to Vientiane. Staying at LP then Pakse, Don Khon and then N Cambodia before SR and Thailand.

Thanks again everybody. Really looking forward to our trip. Literally counting down the days!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

Hi 2crazy... I didn't get blood tested in Siem Reap or Phuket - suggest you post that question in the Siem Reap and Phuket Travel Forums. There are also International "SOS" clinics in many places in S.E. Asia that could provide INR blood test results. You could google SOS Clinics to find out if any are located in Siem Reap or Phuket, but I think they are a lot more expensive than if you went to a hospital and had it done. I have heard that Phuket has good medical services, but you'd need to check that out.

As for beer...does your husband drink it on a regular basis? If not, drinking alcohol can interfere with Warfarin and cause problems with INR stability. Yes I know that's a pain, not being able to drink hardly any alcohol myself - I have a beer once every several months! Not fun! But I have heard that if a person drinks regularly and then goes on Warfarin and continues to drink regularly but not excessively, that it is okay, but definitely I suggest you check that with your doctor , as for me, because I hardly drank at all before going on Warfarin 4 years ago, I was told not to drink alcohol. It may also depend on why your husband is on Warfarin, and the dosage that he is on. Your doctor would be the best source of info in this issue.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to have blood test when on warfarin

I would not rely on insent repellents brought locally bring your own with you from the UK