We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset on the Mekong

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset on the Mekong

Couldn't find any place to post the following but I thought some travelers might be interested.

My wife and I have been to Luang Prabang on several occasions and normally each time go we rent a boat for a day and travel either up or down the Mekong or go up some of the rivers that enter the Mekong around Luang Prabang and enjoy the pleasant scenery and also obtain some great photos. The trips have always been exciting, instructive and very interesting in learning how the people live along the mighty Mekong. While my wife and I were recently (Dec.) in Luang Prabang with a friend from Italy who had never been to Laos the owner/manager of our hotel (My Dream Resort) suggested that we consider taking a sunset tour on the Mekong. As I am a freelance photographer I jumped at his suggestion. The owner arranged for a two hour tour in a private boat. We picked up some BBQ’d fish, sausage, crackers, beer and wine and headed out at the appropriate time. We had a fantastic experience and both my wife and I were able to obtain some awesome sunset pictures over the Mekong and the mountains while also enjoying the wonderful sights of families fishing and living on the Mekong. The operator of the boat was extremely helpful and the three of us had another amazing experience, thanks to our hotel manager. We can certainly suggest such a trip to anyone that is interested as it is just an awesome experience and the food and beer/wine also helped out immensely!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Hi,

I agree with you that it's a great time to be on the river and watch the river banks come alive in the last hour of daylight. The light is beautiful then and everything becomes a great picture... It's also something I always try to do when I'm back in LPB.

Cheers

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Yes I have done this on a few occasions and it is what I have recommended on this site as well.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Thanks DIKTHAI. We'll be staying at My Dream Boutique in early March and will give the sunset cruise a try. Whenever I am in Hoi An, Vietnam I always love a sunset cruise on the river.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Its also very nice in Pakse at the Mekong Beer Gardens. And Vientiane for that matter,,,,

Edited: 27 December 2012, 02:36
Daegu, South Korea
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Thank you for your detailed description! It sounds amazing! DO you remember how long the whole ride was and about how much you paid in kip? Thank you so much. My friend and i will be going to Luang Prabang for just two full days and this is something I would love to do.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Mary D - the trip was about 2 - 2 1/2 hours in length. At this time I cannot remember what the cost of the boat was but it was not very expensive. It was certainly worth the money.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

This sounds amazing, but we didn't think of organizing it privately, we went with Green Discovery's tour. It cost us 50,000 kip each and was meant to be a group tour, but in the end there were only two couples. It lasted about 90 minutes and we just rode up the Mekong, turned off the engine and floated back. It was great, and cheap, but the private boat sounds really special!

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

@Rufuscat, do you have a favourite operator you can recommend?

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Sounds fabulous and great tip. I've just added a sunset Mekong trip to our LP itinerary. Can you recall what the cost of the private boat was?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset on the Mekong

Flatdog - sorry, I cannot remember what the cost was but it was not very expensive. I hired the boat through the hotel owner.