We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Laos

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Laos

We will be touring Laos in September and have been deliberating about whether to fly, bus, minivan or actually hire a car and drive to Vientiane (via VV for a night of course) ourselves. If we were to drive, we could stop multiple times and take as long as we want to get there. Are there any hotels between LP and VV where tourists stop in the mountains for a night or two?

What would be the deterrent to driving oneself? As we are accustomed to Left Hand Drive in Canada and Right Hand Drive in Australia, can anyone give any info that would help us to make a decision why not to drive? We are regulars to Asia and are well versed on the absolute madness and chaos of Thai roads, but have always opted for the public transport routes as we are mainly always in cities, however the road trip between LP and Vientiane sounds so incredibly beautiful, I think this is a time when the bus will not be the best option ... nor the plane? Thoughts please and thanks heaps.

BTW we have made inquiries as to car rental rates and they are actually worthy of a second thought!

Green Discovery
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours
Authentic Laos Travel
Private Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Nam Ou Elephant Farm
Sightseeing Tours, Farms
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Laos

I would NOT attempt to drive in Laos, especially since there are practically no road rules to abide by. Hiring a car/mini-van is the best & safest option, you will be able to stop whenever you want.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Laos

Hi,

100% agree with Maneki - hire a driver and car. Its easy and you'll be able to enjoy the trip and scenery instead of worrying about directions and local traffic...

VV is stunning and the drive between LP and VV beautiful.

Enjoy!

- K

kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Laos

A private van with driver is cheaper than hiring your own car last time I looked too - certainly with Eurocar, who charge high rates then charge for kms too over a preset limit. You will pay for dropping off in a town different to the origin too.

If you are on holiday for peace of mind its probably better to rent a minivan & private driver - you can still stop wherever you like..

4. Re: Driving in Laos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 February 2013, 01:05
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,970 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Laos

Simcard10 ... are you advertising your own business? Not allowed - read the posting rules please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Laos

I didn't know I am sorry. I'll look now

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Laos

Also have a look at the Cambodia forums, and read the post about a tourist who was killed while riding a motorbike. Take public transportation when you are not accustomed to the roads in a foreign country, it is MUCH safer!

Edited: 08 February 2013, 22:37
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Laos

hire a van and driver and sit back and relax. safest and easy.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,377 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Laos

I have driven here for 7 years. Its not that bad provided you are careful and very conscious of motorbikes. I don't drive from Vte to LP anymore though - the road is too dangerous.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Laos

Thank you for such wonderful advice.

May I please ask ... When the road between LP and V is regularly cited as very 'dangerous' what exactly does that mean?

Do you mean the road is actually too dangerous to be physically traveling on because of the condition of the road or is it the other people sharing the road make it to dangerous?

Last year we travelled up into to the mountains of Darjeeling India by jeep with as many passengers on top of it as inside it and a road virtually narrower than the jeeps themselves!

The scenery was spectacular but the trip up was so hair raising I could neither relax or enjoy it and our break away at the most beautiful hill station resort was spent with me worrying about the trip back down ! (You know that saying right ... he who goes up !!!!!)

BTW the worry was worry well spent!

Is the to be déjà vu ?