We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a guide for my stay?

Los angeles
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a guide for my stay?

We have scheduled 3 nights in LP and wanted to know if we need a guide for our stay. We want to ride along the Mekong River, don't necessarily have to go to Pak Ou Caves. We also have interest in visiting town area via bike to see the cultural sights. We want to see the Kuang Si Falls and ride elephants for maybe 1/2 day. Is this something we could put together upon arrival once we are there in LP? ANy central hotels worthy of mentioning with excellent desk help to make all these arrangements?

Thanks for the advice.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Absolutely no need for a guide. All the places & actviities you mention are very well known and visited daily by many. All the guesthouses and travel agents can organise these trips for you, or you can organise a boat or tuktuk yourself to get to most. You will see when you arrive.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Thank you for the reply.. I will do that.

Do you have any accommodation recommendations?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,355 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

use a site like Agoda to get an idea of prices, make a short list and then check out the reviews (link in the top green bar)

if you care to let us know your budget and number of stars you require, no doubt people will offer suggestions - but without this info asking for recommendations is a bit pointless

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

No you don't need a guide. Luang Phabang is small enough to find your way about.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Good point, my oversight. I'm looking for a 3-4 star property that is close-in to restaurants and close to seeing the monks in the morning. WE are looking for comfortable accommodations, nothing over the top expensive $100 (price range) per night.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Most places in LP are under $100. Of the dearer ones, Villa Santi is central and nice and is around that price. Belle Rive on the riverfront looks very nice but more like $200 peak season - I used to stay there for $6, but they gutted the place a few years ago and gave it a complete facelift.

There isn't any need to spend that much for a pleasant clean guesthouse that you will be happy with though - there are many modern clean central places for around $50.

Jersey
Level Contributor
266 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

If you want to stretch the budget than Maison Souvannaphoum is a lovely place to stay. 5 minutes walk from the night market and easy walking to all attractions. Hotel is fantastic - good rooms, really good breakfasts and nice pool to cool off at the end of the day.

I agree totally with the fact you don't need a guide to get around Lunag Prabang. However, we found a guide invaluable when visiting the Royal Palace Mueseum and Wat Xieng Thong. Worth it just to get the full history of the country, the buildings, the role and demise of the Royalty etc. Gave a great insight into Laos. The explanation boards (the few that are available) with English translations do not do the places justice. Don't simply dismiss the guided tours of these areas - you'll get far more out of the experience with one. We used Exotissimo, who provided an excellent service.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
455 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

No you do not need a guide. For visiting Kuang Si Fallas and elephnat ride, you can use Tuk Tuk. You can find them on the main street west of Joma Bakery Cafe. They will take you to these places. You can pay the entrance fee and fare for elephant ride there. Cheaper than buying from the agencies on the main street and hotel. I stayed at Chitchareune Muang Luang hotel. Booked thru Agoda and it was very reasonalble and comfortable.. Had some maintenance problems in the room but they changed my room. Good luck.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
168 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Thanks for the info.. I will not book in advance as originally planned and will also check into your hotel recommendations.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a guide for my stay?

Finding a room once you're there is a viable option. It will also be cheaper and more fun!