We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

Adelaide
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

Does anyone know whether helmets are available when hiring push bikes? And what about locks so you can lock up your bike if you want to stop off somewhere? Thank you

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

helmets are not normally given with bicycles, locks sometimes are but not always. You can get a cheap helmet for under $10 and chain & padlock for around $5 in the chinese market or from many shops just back from the main Peninsula tourist area.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
99 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

Thanks Bluecramp. I think I will take a light chain with me so I can use it in other towns as well, but as for helmets I'm guessing that most people just don't bother with them? What is the traffic like?

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
458 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

Traffic is light here and Laos people tend to drive very slowly in any case. LP is very safe for cycling. From what I have seen every bike when hired has a locking device with it so I would not buy one. I don't think I have seen too many bike riders with helmets either but that is up to you.

4. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 17:20
Edited: 08 April 2013, 17:20
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

we cycled around LP for a week during Phi Mi last year. Traffic is not that bad and we even ventured out on the rural roads which was fabulous. Got our bikes from the hotel and it included a safety chain. First day we did not realise our hotel had bikes so we rented some from a place in main street and they had safety chains as well. Would not bother taking any with you. No helmets available.

6. Re: Hiring bikes in Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:17