We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

I am currently in LP, took the boat trip to Pak Ou cave and enjoyed the scenery. I have about 8 days in Laos before heading to Danang.

I am interested to see karsts. From what I read, the prettiest stretch is between Nong Khiaw and Muang khua. But others recommend Vang Vieng. The bus LP - VV is simple. But the trip to NK-MK requires an overnight in NK, then another overnight in MK, then overnight in LP before heading south or take a flight to Danang.

Today is my 5th day in LP and I don't mind spending more time in LP. Some recommend to skip VV.

Thanks

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

I'm not a karst person per se, but I really liked being in the small villages north of Luang Prabang. We did visit some caves up there. The people were very friendly, and the way of life is very slow. I skipped VV due to timing, and I'm glad I did because those overnights often bring their own experiences. We met local people, kayaked,etc.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

Correction: I have 8 more days, should I skip VV?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

VV is probably better for voews as there are lots of dirt roads running between the karst across the Song river away from the town which gives you a better sense of being surrounded. Rent a bike or motorbike (probably motorbike in this heat) and print the map from hobomaps

http://hobomaps.com/VangViengAreaMap.html

This is not to say that Nong Khiaw - Muang Khua is not also a nice area, but if exploring karst is your main interest then west of VV is very nice

4. Re: Nong Khiaw / Muang khua or Vangvieng to view the karsts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:17