We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

We will be going to Thailand for 10 days and then have another week to spend in Laos! I was thinking that we only had a week that it would be best to stay in one area instead of spending the whole time travelling around ! Before I pay for my flights from BKK to Luang Prabang (they are being held by BKK Airways til June 1st) do u think we should spend the whole week in Luang Prabang...or shall we stay for 5 nights then a 2 night cruise back to Thailand? Or go to Vientiane also? And where to stay in Luang Prabang if we choose to stay for 1 week? Right in town or our outside of town with a pool? Ther are so many choices I can't decide! We will be in Laos Jan 31 for 1 week 😀, thanks!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

This is how me and the missus did it, and if we went again we'd take the same route...

- Take the overnight sleeper from Hualamphong to Nong Khai.

- Have a couple of nights in Nong Khai at The Mutmee. Nong Khai is a lovely laid back border town sat right on the Meekong.

- Tuk tuk to the border crossing at Friendship Bridge. Buy Laos Visa. Cross the Bridge . Tuk tuk to Vientiane.

- Couple of nights in Vientiane. Bus to Vang Vieng (hire a pushbike and get out into the glorious countryside).

- Couple of nights in Vang Vieng. Bus to Luang Prabang.

- Four nights or so in Luang Prabang.

- Fly out of LP to wherever, or take the boat to Huay Xai.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Just looked at some really great pictures of Nong Khaiw... looks great. Thanks for the link, Paulo.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
13 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

OK. Is the bus between the two fairly accessible?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Yes, very accessible- as well as minibuses put on daily for tourism, there are regular local buses and also songthaews, as well as daily boats during the peak season. You can book the day before at one of the many tour agents in LP.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
317 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Hi there,

I spent a week in LP this January with my husband. We absolutely adore it and found a week too short. We wished we had more time.

We rented a motorbike and took our time to visit waterfalls, temples, rode around villages and basically just enjoyed the hospitality of kind Laotian and the spectacular sunsets. Of course the weather helped because it was very cooling and not a single drop of rain.

I guess it all boil down to how your travel style is. When I can, I prefer to spend a longer time in a place before I move on. A luxury with limited vacation days.

Oh and we stayed at Villa Chitdara 2, by Mekong river and My Dream Resort on the other side of town, you need to cross bamboo bridge to get to town in dry season. Both are highly recommended by me because the service rendered was impeccable.

Have a good trip, I am sure you will love Lao PDR :-)

Syllaw

PS: I wish to be back to Lao and explore more of it - Nong Khiaw, Phonsavan, Vientiane, Kong Lor Cave, Si Phan Don, etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

While agreeing with comments about the quality of the train trip in Thailand, if you only have a week I would go with your first instinct and have 5 nights in Luang Prabang and then take the Luangsay (with two nights stop - one a Kamu Lodge and the other the standard stop at Luangsay lodge, on the way to Northern Thailand and finishing in Chiang Rai. I have visited Laos a number of times and my partner and I have just completed nearly 3 weeks in Laos, mostly in the "back blocks" (going up the Nam Ou by boat and visiting the old Ho Chi Minh trail) but I would suggest leaving out Vientiane, staying 4 or 5 nights in LP and then go up the Mekong, to get a feel for life in rural Laos.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

"I would suggest leaving out Vientiane,"

As stated before, this is a very silly idea. The capital has excellent restaurants and a lot to see. Only those who don't know it well would make a comment like this.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

It all depends on your preferences. If you mainly want to see temples, museums and cultural things, you should visit LP and Vientiane. However, for me it would be ashamed to miss the natural beauty of Laos (andjust see it from the bus), hence personal I would stay 4 days in LP (explore the yown, maybe going to the other side of Mekong, visiting the nearby waterfalls), and spend the remaining three days (including the boat ride back to LP) in Nong Khiaw. This would give you a good mix of culture and outdoor activities.

It would be nice to see other places, but 7 days is not a lot, and would try to utilise this time within a smaller area.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Well I think we made up our minds! After 10 days in Thailand, we'll fly to Chiang Mai & take the Shampoo Cruise from Hoay Xay to Luang Prabang, spend 5 nights in Luang Prabang, then back to BKK! Any ideas of what hotel, I am stumped!!? Anybody been on the Shampoo Cruise? Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it 😀😀!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: A Week in Luang Prabang too long??

Good grief I just realized it is Shompoo Cruise not Shampoo lol