We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I will be in Laos during December and we are looking to travel by boat between Luang Prabang and Nong Khiaw. We also wish to see the Pak Ou caves during our time in Luang Prabang. I am under the impression that the caves are on the way to Nong Khiaw, so is it possible that we could see the caves on the way to Nong Khiaw? I know that there are tourist boats which go straight to Nong Khiaw from Luang Prabang, but that these only leave when they are loaded with tourists, and I have not read anything about these boats stopping at the caves. Is a private boat the only way that we could see the caves and travel on to Nong Khiaw in the same trip?

Thanks

Craig S

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

You are right that the public boats between LP and NK are not stopping at the cave. Somif you really want to stop there on route, you have to get a private boat (which is not cheap if you do it with two).

The public boat wil not just leave if the boat is full. If there are not enough people there, they might ask for a higher price. Always worthwhile to check at the boat landing a day ebfore upyou leave to check if people have booked tickets already, or signed up for it (at least this is how it worked in NK).

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
488 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

in my opinion pak ou cave is not worth paying for a private boat

we visited pak ou caves during our "cruise" from huay xai pakbeng LPB last year and this visit doesn't leave me a unforgetable memory ....

as I can remember just two caves, with hundreds of dusty budha statues and not so much to see, it's dark and a very short visit ...

so try to get more informations before making your decision, but it's up to you of course

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

Hello everyone!

I too will be going with my partner to Luang Prabang in December. Got a quote form a supposedly respectable travel agent about Luang Prabang (LPB) via road to Nong Khiew and over night there then back via boat. The cost quoted was approximately US$400 per person. I was shocked. I don't know if that is reasonable or a rip off. It'll be my first time there.

Can anyone help me clarify this?? Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

Wow, that's a lot. Unless you are in a 5* hotel it is a rip off (imo).

Just head to the bus station and take a bus to Nong Khiaw. Costs for two should be just over 100k Kip I think. In NK just have a look what type of accomodation you want. I know there is one bungalow that is more expensive, but offer apparently very nice rooms etc. in comparison I paid 30k Kip back in October for a very simple en suite bungalow with fan and the important hammock.

The public boat to LP costs around 120k Kip pp, it could be more if there is no one else there. I think hiring a private boat was between 500k and 1mil Kip (if I remember correctly.

Based on these prices (even with bungalow that charges much higher prices, $800 for two is far too high.

I would also consider to stay two nights in NK, as you would arrive around lunch time, and head back by boat the next morning, only giving you a half day to explore the area. An extra night in NK would be worthwhile

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

Thanks for the tip, Scotsman79. I was really shocked at the quote too. They were going to put us up at Nong Khiew Riverside. I was thinking maybe they are charging us so high because they'll include a guide and a car ride out. It's possible to have a private car charged at US$200 a day. I'll go plan alternatives.

Here's a good page (for other interested individuals) for costs for boat and bus rides in LPB FYI.

http://hobomaps.com/TravelLuangPrabang.html

Thanks again! Gigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

That quote is astoundingly expensive!

7. Re: River Travel: Luang Prabang - Pak Ou - Nong Khiaw

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:17