We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
Save Topic
Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

We'll be in Luang Prabang over Christmas this year. Is there any Catholic/Christian service on Christmas eve/day?

I have searched on the Internet, but I could not find anything. There used to be a Christian service hosted by the Riverside Restaurant, but it seems closed now.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

Hi Catherine

Luang Prabang is a profoundly Buddhist town. Perhaps you could celebrate Christmas by attending Buddhist ceremonies--attending the tak bat (alms giving) early Christmas morning, then at dusk listening to the novice monks chanting at Wat Xieng Thong. During Christmas Day you might spend some time talking with novice monks at one of the many temples in Luang Prabang, and as an act of faith and Christian charity, agreeing to sponsor one or more for their education. Visit The Library and Big Brother Mouse and buy books for Lao children in some of the poor villages outside Luang Prabang. This seems to me to be an excellent way to celebrate Christmas! You will love Luang Prabang and its generous, gentle, friendly people; happy travels, and merry Christmas in advance.

Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

Peter, thank you very much for your suggestions and wishes!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

I have seen adverts tacked onto power poles for Christian services at Xmas in LP the last few times I've been there during December. I don't remember where it was but I am sure someone is doing one even if the Riverside no longer does.

Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

Thanks for you help!

Kalundborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

We are on our way to Louang Prabang and also staying there for Christmas. So we are very interested in any Christmas-like tings going on :-)

Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe we can find a rost duck somewhere.... That is the usual dinner on the 24th in Denmark.

6. Re: Catholic/Christian service for Christmas in Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang