We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coram, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Hello,

I'd like to join a group for a day-trip to visit Pak Ou Cave and Kuang Si Falls around Luang Prabang on Jan. 19, 2014 (Sunday) ? I've heard people complaining about MANIFA TRAVEL and so I'd avoid them.

Can somebody suggest some good travel agents in Luang Prabang for this day-trip ?

Kin

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

just wander down to the riverside where the tuk tuks congregate - plenty of groups going from there - no need to even book

Coram, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Hi,

Thanks, thmoore !

When I hire a tuk-tuk to Kuang Si Falls (say), do I pay at the end of the trip (ie. returning to Luang Prabang) or at thr beginning ? If one pays before the beginning of the trip, doesn't one worry whether the driver would really stay/wait to take you back to Luang Prabang after one wonders around Kuang Si Falls ?

I guess it's probably more enjoyable to take a boat to Pak Ou Caves ?

Any comments will be appreciated !

Kin

Edited: 07 January 2014, 12:45
Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Fully agree with thmoore.

I found fellow travellers to share a Tuk Tuk to the falls when I was in LP one year ago. Cheaper as not involving an agency, and you always meet some interesting people that way.

I paid at the end of the trip, which I think is the common thing to do. And never had any issues with that.

Not sure about the cave, only passed it on my from Nong Khiaw and LP. I think it could be worthwhile to check any of the agencies, as this might be easier, especially if you want to take a boat.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 13:15
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

go down to the mainstreet and find yourself a tuk tuk driver and negotiate a price. If you can find some others who want to do the trip out to the falls as well. Always lots of tourists walking around looking for a tuk tuk to get out there. Don't pay until you complete your tour.

Grab a boat tour to the caves. We came in from the Thai/Laos border and was part of our stop on the Nagi of Mekong.

Coram, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

At the end, I went to the main street in Luang Prabang (Sisavangvong) and chose "All Laos" for the one-day group trip to Pak Ou Caves and Kuang Si Falls with 160000 kip ( exactly US$20 as I've been exchanging $1 = 8000 kip in those few days). This was like one-tenth or one-ninth of what different agents offered when I asked the travel companies online before I went. There were probably even cheaper ones but I found the above seemed to be the biggest company there :-)

The trip arrangement have been handled well. Like everybody has said, the part of the trip to the Pak Ou Caves was when one was on the boat. The caves themselves were not really impressive (esp. the upper one). Kuang Si Falls was nice, too and I enjoyed the 15-minutes hike up to the top.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 04:46
London
Level Contributor
370 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Hi Yip_Kin,

I am glad i read your comments, i have been thinking about booking a trip in advance (i come to LP in 10 days), but decided against it.

$50-80 for a day trip seems proper overkill given the income difference. Will try and meet others for trips

thanks

Mark

Coram, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Just to be clear, I went to the travel agent "All Laos" in the main street for the one day trip to the two places (Pak Ou Caves and Kuang Si Falls) with US$20, which included a lunch --- probably in a restaurant of the staff's family or friends as the travel agent staff also served as a waitress there :-)

There was no "travel guide" really (which suited me !), only the driver of the boat and the car. I walked to the travel agency at 8 am and a staff sent us on a van (with somebody else already in the van) to the pier with somebody else already on the pier. We got on the boat to Pak Ou Caves ... and when we returned, the agent showed up later in ~10 minutes. She picked up 10 of us to the above-mentioned restaurant and then another van came (after the lunch) which drove us to the Kuang Si Falls. She didn't follow us to Kuang Si Falls.

I was with different people on the boat trip to Pak Ou Caves and on the van to the restaurant/Kuang Si Falls.

So, the travel agent did all the arrangement (not me). $20 certainly is much better than ~$180 that I was offered when I tried to contact different agents online before I arrived in Luang Prabang.

Tokyo, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Hi,

I am very interested in "All Laos". For this trip, when do you pay the travel agent, after or before the trip?

Coram, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

I remember that I paid the day before the trip and got a receipt. They wanted me to pay when I booked.

Tokyo, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel agent for day-trip to Pak Ou Cave & Kuang Si Falls ?

Thank you for the reply