We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

Hello,

Anyone knows if there's a place to rent Mountain Bike in Luang Prabang ?

Also, any recommendations where to cycles around, something between 40-70 km.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

we saw a family cycling out to the Kwang Si waterfalls - our calculations were that it must have taken them about 4 hrs for this ride - and then they had to ride back!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

We hired bikes in Luang Prabang and took them across the Mekong on the vehicle ferry for a small fee, and spent the day cycling in Chompet area. Great day cycling, minimal traffic, plenty to see and places to stop at for cold drinks and refreshments. Lots of bikes for hire in Luang Prabang.

www.hobomaps.com/LuangPrabangCentralMap.html

Cheers

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

Is it possible to sightsee Kwang Se waterfalls if I ride there ? I mean, I probably wouldn't be able to leave rented bikes safe there and go check the waterfalls ?

About the Chompet area. Did you cycle on paved roads there ? Any chances to find some single tracks around Luang Prabang for more technical mountain biking ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

Hi KarolisRD

Cycling across the Mekong in Chompet area was all gravel road. Nothing too technical about it in terms of hard core mountain bike riding, at least that was our experience. We really enjoyed our 3/4's of a day cycling there and stopping along the way. When you walk or cycle up the hill from the vehicle ferry, and are standing on what I think maybe the main street, there is a map drawn on a sign just down a track on the left. We took a pic of the map and used that as a guide.

Cheers

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

you can quite easily cycle to Kwang Si & chain your bikes (byo padlock for safety) - it's just not something that appeals to me.

The falls are amazing & you'd probably really enjoy a swim there - it's a hard hilly ride in both directions. The Bear Rescue centre near the base of the falls is fantastic too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

My wife and I rented mountain bikes from one of the many bike rental/tour company offices in Luang Prabang (apologies, but I cannot remember the name of the company). The bikes were in pretty good shape, so we felt confident and decided to do the ride to Kuang Si falls. It was a very enjoyable ride, although quite difficult and hilly in spots. It took us about two and a half hours to ride from downtown Luang Prabang to the falls.

There is an official "bicycle lock" area once you reach the falls (before the ticket office) that costs something like 2000 kip to lock your bikes up there (you'll be given a receipt and the guy watches the bikes while you explore the waterfalls).

The ride up was hard enough for us, and we were in no mood to return with an equally difficult ride. No worries -- just find a tuk-tuk driver who has room and a departure time that works for you. We ended up paying about the equivalent of $10 USD for a tuk-tuk ride back with our mountain bikes securely strapped to the roof.

While there are some roadside shops along the route, bring plenty of water and sunscreen! It is a tough ride. We are both in good shape (not cyclists, however) and found it challenging. Have fun!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

I agree with all the suggestions above - there are no mountain bike tracks like you might be used to in your own country but the Kuangsi ride is nice, on a sealed road with lots of undulating hills ( no big climbs) and Chompet district is also very nice, and less visited.

The road towards Muang Nan is a nice ride too.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

Thanks for replays.

I'll check both of recommended - Kuang si and Chompet :)

9. Re: Mountain Biking in Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:18